Forum Discussion

QuentinFleischf
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Scheduled Automation no option to select value after copy value from another record

I have a rich text formula field (Field A) that returns the status of a project based on a number of variables.
I have a multi choice text field (Field B) that is intended to replicate the value result in Field A.
Both Field A and Field B are on the same record.
I presently have an automation (that works well) that updates Field B with the value of Field A on each occasion a user updates the record.
I was looking (hoping) to schedule an automation that updates Field B with the value in Field A daily noting users may not go into each record daily thus not triggering the automation manually.

I select New Automation, populate my App name, and populate my Table name.
I filter records such that the scheduled automation will only update records when Field A is not equal to the value in Field B.
I select Field B as my field to update and specify the source as copy value from another record.
When I go to populate the value option there is nothing, no options, nothing...

Please, what am I doing wrong? How can I solve the above? Much appreciated.

7 Replies

• No problem. Set up a saved table to table import and set it to merge records so that new records are not created, and merge on record ID. So you�re copying the same records into them selves.

If your table has less than about 100 fields I would take the time to set the field mapping to do not import for all the fields that are just mapping into themselves. It�s just something I do to make it more obvious with the safe table to table import is doing.

But then for the status field you map your formula Field into the Status data entry field.

Then just have an automation to run that same table to table import every day.
  • Thanks Mark,
    Appreciate the quick response.
    Am I in essence importing the table over the top of itself?

I have had a quick look and I am assuming the following is the case:

1. Go to required table (Table A), select import/export, select import from another table.
    2. On the create new import set the source table as Table A.
    3. Set import type to merge in Table A and set the key field for Table A as both the merge key field and source field.
    4. Could I at this point under matching only import tasks where Field A is not equal to Field B (or would you recommend against this?)
    5. Under field mapping under default mapping it only says 36 fields will be copied. I assume only fields of a certain type (?) can be imported as I definitely have more fields... I will, per your suggestion, only update Field A / Field B by invoking custom mapping on that field.

Again, thank you for the assistance.
  • Yes, you got it.  I would agree that it will save some micro seconds to only update records which need to be updated so I agree with the filter (it also helps with sort of self documenting what the saved table to table import is doing, as it will be less obvious 2-5 years into the future when you or someone else is trying to remember what that saved table to table import is doing).

Yes, since it's only 36 fields, then I would set like 35 to Do Not Update so just update that one field, just to make it even more obvious what the import is doing.

TateForgey
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      What is the best practice if it is a connected table?  You can't schedule table to table imports because it is connected.

This should be its own thread since I have run into this problem before, but I'll ask here since it is the same kind of problem.  I have a connected table (People) with a relationship to another table (Tests) and a summary field that shows me earliest test date.  Easy.  Reporting requirements cause me to create a Days table with a "Date" as the key to display those earliest test dates and I create a relationship with the People table using the reference key of the earliest test date.  Quick Base allows this, and this works, and everyone is happy right up until it doesn't work because those relationships based on a summary field can be wonky.  (reports show "0" even when clicking on that "0" show multiple records in the drilldown report.). So, I think, "Well, I guess I need to take that summary value and put it in a hard-coded date field to base that relationship on." However, I have tried multiple automations that I just can't get to reliably fire and fill this out since the "change" is based on that summary field changing.

So, what is best practice here?  I'm back to the relationship based on the summary field now and hoping it doesn't flake out.  Is there a way to make that more stable or at least know when it might get weird?  If not, what is the best way to populate this date field from the summary date field?

------------------------------
      Tate Forgey
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        Can you fire the Automation based on change in the details table that is being summarized?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AdamKrzyzanek
      Qrew Captain

I come to same problem and previously I use table-to-table import but it is not sufficient to my needs.
      Process description:
      1) After user mark completion with "check" box I have 1 automation which capture User Name and Date of Completion.
      NOTE: It works for 95% of cases, but sometimes it fails to capture User Name or Completion Date.
      2) Then I run "Daily Workaround" automation with table-to-table import - when checkbox is marked and user name not capture I just copy name from field "Last Modify by"

Issue is that when Automation touch record it capture "automation owner" name in "Last Modify by". For this purpose I would like to use automation as it gives possibility to copy "Old Values"

Any potential solutions?

Adam Krzyzanek