Forum Discussion

MosesBlumenstie
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Secondary Keys

I'm used to other types of database systems (Filemaker, MySQL, etc) which allow secondary non-unique keys and I'm wondering why this isn't possible in Quick Base.  Is it simply a limitation or am I missing something?

Here's an example of where I ran into trouble.  I have a 'teams' table as parent which relates to a 'team members' table.  'Team member' has a user field.  I would like that user field to be a key field for other tables further down the tree but I also want users to belong to more than one team.  Normally this would be easy with secondary keys but in Quick Base it gets very cumbersome.

1 Reply

• Quick Base does not support a secondary Key and my understanding is that this is a legacy issue that is not easily enhanced.

But that being said, there is generally a solution working with the wide range of flexibility that we do have.  So for example, in your case a Many to many relationship where One Team has many Team Members but also One Team Member may be a member of Many Teams.

So my motto is "Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things that you can".