Forum Discussion

FranciscoOjeda
Qrew Trainee
7 months ago

Setting dependencies for different Stages

Hi,

I am trying to set dependencies to different stages in a process.

I know that for setting dependencies for tasks, Quickbase has the Predecesors field,

But what I need to do is to "lock" the next stage (of my kanban) until the tasks that are opened in the present stage are already completed. I think I saw a video of someone doing this but I cant find it again.

Does anybody know how can I do this? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
Francisco Ojeda

6 Replies

• Are you trying to make it so that if there are pending predecessors, users cannot move/change the status in the Kanban while those tasks are still open? When you say 'stage' - are you just talking like 'Not Started', 'In Progress', 'Complete' etc?

If you're using native predecessors - you would have the work date field that corresponds with when the predecessors are all complete and the task is dependent on them 'releases'. With that field you could have a Custom Data Rule set for your table that the 'work date' must have a value in order to allow it to proceed. If you use that method it wouldn't stop them trying to move items but QB would throw an error like below so the users would know that they couldn't proceed

Chayce Duncan
      FranciscoOjeda
      Qrew Trainee

Okay, perfect.

By saying different stages I mean like the different parts of my process, the Project needs to pass through all of them in order to be completed, each "Stage" has their tasks and I thought that the dependencies created with predecessors was in de task level and not in the "Stage level".

The image that you put its okay, that is what I want to do. 

In addition to this, the tasks of the following stage are created only when the project enters that stage, with a pipelin, thats why I thought that it coudldnt be done with predecessors. 

thanks!

Francisco Ojeda

MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Francisco,  if you have a setup where one Project has many Tasks and the Tasks know which Stage they are for, then you can make a summary field for the total number of open tasks for where the Task Stage equals the current Project Stage.  Then you can use data table rules  in advanced settings for the table to create and error message such as

IF([# open tasks for current stage] > 0, "Sorry, but you must complete the Stage Tasks before you can move the project in the Kanban") 

Then what will happen in that the user will drag the card but it will not stick and will revert back to where it was and display the warning message.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com