Forum Discussion

Ed_AMathias
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Software Source Control

Is anyone out there managing software source code using Quickbase?  If not, has anyone connected Quickbase to other products out there like Bit Bucket?

------------------------------
Ed Mathias

7 Replies

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Ed,

Source Control with Quick Base is not like traditional software dev where you can truly lock down your change management, source control, build control and deployments.  If and administrator wants to make changes there is no way to prevent that.  If you have only one admin for the application who is disciplined then you can get a limited amount source control.

We are using Visual Studio Code as the IDE. 

code.visualstudio.com

This is now owned by Microsoft.

Once you get that downloaded and installed, we wrote an VSC Extension for Quick Base.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=klubnik.quick-base-formula-syntax 

This is still the first version of the Extension but there is an upgrade coming here in the 4th quarter.   We will probably have another in Q1 of 2020.

I have VSC connected to Git Hub.   For small clients we maintain the repository.   For larger ones that have an Enterprise account Quick Base is one set inside their account.

This works "well" for formula fields and code pages.    If you are using IOL you can put that into Source as well.

However there is no real way to control your forms and form rules with Source.   Most of your UX is outside of the ability to use Source Control.

Hope this helps.   Reach out with questions and any additional improvement you would like to see in the VSC Extension.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      Ed_AMathias
      Qrew Member
      Thanks Don.  

I am not looking to control Quickbase development but more along the lines of traditional source code for development in traditional programming languages.  Ideally, from a task in my application, I have a way to check-in/out source code and have one primary repository for all source code for the company.

I think I'm going to need to look at something like Bit Bucket and see how I could connect Quickbase to Bit Bucket.

Ed A Mathias
        DonLarson
        Qrew Commander
        Ed,

I completely whiffed on that one.

So if I am following you correctly, QB would be the the PM layer for the software change requests, tasking and the version control is Bit Bucket.  I do not know anyone doing that but would like to see your project when you have made progress.

Good luck.

Don Larson
        Paasporter
        Westlake OH
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Ed,

I neglected to mention that at the moment we have not solved the issue of  Git Work Flow to allow you to deploy.  You have to copy and paste which in of itself can lead to errors from your committed record going to Quick Base.

Hopefully we will have that feature in Q1.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      RyanStanford1
      Qrew Captain
      Don,

I just want to thank you for developing the QB extension for Visiual Studio Code... When I write my code pages etc, that's what I use for readability, and then will paste into QB Code Pages.

Your extensions gives me hope to have the same ease of use when it comes to working on QB formulas.

Ryan Stanford
        DonLarson
        Qrew Commander
        Ryan,

You are welcome.  It started because of the need to understand which darn parentheses were not closed in the QB Formula.   Then I discovered the need to have Source Control to roll back changes.

There are a couple enhancements coming:

1) Expanded logic for variable declarations.   Quick Base added some.  We also are going to validate the string with the closing semi colon.
        2) Auto select of Quick Base formulas.   This way you can type  "To"  and the drop down will show you all the formulas for converstion, ToText, ToNumber and so on.
        3) Better integration with GitHub.    This is the challenging one. Wish us luck.

Any thing else you need?  Please speak up.

Also I am going to try and do a session at Empower 2020 on all this.  Hoping to follow Kirk and his Magic Buttons.

Don Larson
        Paasporter
        Westlake OH