Forum Discussion

DarylPrice
Qrew Member
11 months ago

Stop field from updating once record has been created, but editable

I have an application where a pipeline is going to a third party to retrieve the current mileage of trucks and inserting into my main table Maintenenace records field [current Mileage]. I have a calculation in [next service] which is a formula adding a select amount of interval i.e. 10000 miles to the current mileage, which will then list the next service value.

Problem is they all keep updating every night when the pipeline pulls the current mileage.

So when I look at the record the next day, the current milegae of course has updated and unfortunately it also updated next service. So there is no way the truck would ever reach that mileage.

I need the report that lists all of these numbers to stay static, but also I need it to be editable in the future.

I hope I explained this well enough. This is my first time on the cummunity web site.

------------------------------
Daryl Price

3 Replies

• Welcome to the Community Forum, we are very friendly here.

I suggest that you have a table of trucks and a relationship where 1 truck has many mileage updates.

Then a field in the trucks for the date of the most recent completed service and typically a truck would also have the mileage at that service,  just as an aside, typically you will want a service history table with the date and the mileage of the service and the type of service and comments.  You can get the date of the most recent service and the mileage of the most recent service using a summary maximums on the relationship where one truck has many service histories.

OK, now back to your question. Your truck knows the mileage of the most recent service, and it knows the current mileage.  So if you subtract, you know the mileage since the last service.  If that is above a threshold like 10,000 then it's due for service.

Feel free to post back with any questions. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DarylPrice
      Qrew Member

I am going through this now, thank you. I will see if I can figure it out. Newbie here

Daryl Price
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

If you are creating a table for Trucks, you will need to set the KEY field to be the same field that the truck is identified with in the mileage data feed, so they will link up automatically in the relationship.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com