Forum Discussion

ShaneMiller1
Qrew Cadet
7 months ago

Table becoming too full

Hello,

I have a unique situation in that I have a table called TableA. TableA has many relationships and is rather intricate as it has a way to generate documents and such. This table also has many activity records, document records, etc. Unfortunately, the activities table mentioned above is at 90% capacity. 

What would be the best way to save/ archive the TableA records along with it's child records/ documents?

Looking for any and all suggestions or ideas

Thank you in advance

------------------------------
Shane Miller

12 Replies

• A low tech solution would be to copy your app and then have that app hold records prior to say Jan 1, 2022.  Go in to the Archive App any manually delete records more current than that.

Then once you are doubly sure that you have records prior to that cut off date in your Archive App, go into your live app and delete records before Jan 1 2022. 

Set access to the Archive app as View Only, and change the banner colour or App Home Page dashboard so Users easily know if they are in the Live app or the Archive App.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ShaneMiller1
      Qrew Cadet

That's pretty smart. That would save documents and all that as well?

Shane Miller
        ShaneMiller1
        Qrew Cadet

I was researching:

Using Quick Base's built in CopyMasterDetail setup

1. From your app home page, select Settings > App Management > Copy master & detail records
        2. Select the table where the record you want copied is. This should be the 'top' of your hierarchy of the set up you want copied. So if you have a set up like: Projects have many Tasks, Tasks have many Activities – and you want to copy a Project and all of their related Activities, you will be copying from 'Projects'
        3. Under the 'Choose what to Copy' – you have two options:

Do you have any experience with using this built in tool?

Shane Miller
  • Hey Shane,

Unfortunately, that is not a unique situation and Quickbase has hard upper limits on some storage, so we are unable to "buy more horsepower." However, file attachments may be different, in that perhaps you can purchase more space? I'd open a Quickbase Support Ticket or review your contract (or Billing in the QB Admin Console) to confirm.

In addition to what Mark suggested using Juiced Tech (which we've used with success in the past and would recommend), we also leveraged Pipelines to create Google Drive links to records and store files in Drive folders too, instead of native Quickbase.

The place you're stuck now is migrating the existing file attachments from Quickbase to some third party, like AWS or Google, and ideally users wouldn't have to look in an archive prior to certain date. In other words, it may be nice to keep their workflow the same regardless of project age … Juiced should be able to help with the "sweep" functionality I imagine, otherwise you'd find a developer who can write a script to migrate your data.

Also, to buy more time until you find a solution, I suggest checking the field properties of each of your three fields in Table "A." Scroll down to the "File Attachment field options" and review the value set in the "Keep the last (revisions)" which defaults to 3. If you don't need older versions, you may be able to set this to 1 and free up some space?

Brian Seymour
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

I was assuming the question related to the 500 MB limit per table and not total file attachment size.  If the problem was actually file attachment it's size then I agree that the options are to buy more space from Quickbase (which granted is pretty expensive), or to get them stored externally either using Juiced or Pipelines  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
      SrinathM_R1
      Qrew Trainee

Hi Brian, I had similar issue and I did move the files to google drive and emptied the space. For the old projects the process was to create folders in the drive and then move the existing files to google drive and then update the folder link back to Quickbase so that it is easy to navigate and access. Once uploaded delete the files from Quickbase. 

Srinath M.R