Forum Discussion

DanSupport_
Qrew Cadet
8 years ago

Timestamp an action when using Grid Edit?

Originally posted in the former community durning migration:
  • Asked by Bob
  • 21 days ago
Hi All, I have a report that most users use grid edit to modify, rather than opening each record individually.  I would like to have a field that records a timestamp when a user changes a pulldown status field to a certain status (say "Acknowledged.")  I know that I can do so in form rules on the individual records, not sure how to do it with a Gried Editiable report.

5 Replies

• Recommended Answer

1 person found this helpful

Right, so as you know, the reason they are called Dynamic Form Rules and not Dynamic Grid Edit Rules is because they only work on Forms.

So you have two choices, sort of low tech and hi tech.

Low tech is that you change the field type of that [Status] field to log changes  and then have a new field that is a text formula field to parse out the ;latest status and the date of the change.

Here are the formuals for that.

Most recent value (formula text field type)

Trim(Right([my update field]),"]"))

Date of most recent update (this needs to be a formula date field)

ToDate(Left(Right([my update field],"["),9))

Who did the most recent update (formula text field type)

Trim(NotLeft(Left(Right([my update field],"["),"]"),9))

The other option is more technical and that involves setting up a Webhook to record that update date.  YOu can read about Webhooks in the help docs, but realistically, unless you are really smart you will need some help getting your first one working.  Then they become easier. :)  I needed help  and examples my first time.

Contact me via the information in my Profile if you want one on one assistance with webhooks or else go low tech.

Was this answer helpful?

Answered by:
    Original
    QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training , Mark Shnier, Principal
    QuickBase Solution Provider 21 days ago

ArchiveUser
      Qrew Captain
      I use webhooks for this exact thing, and it works perfectly. Agreed that most people will probably need an example to set up their first one, but they are quick and easy once you know how to do them.

I hadn't thought of your "low tech" solution. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of using one solution over the other? Some cons of webhooks are that you get a limited number of them, and they change the "last modified by" field to whoever owns the webhook. Any downside to using the formula fields?
    MichelleCoslet
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    also interested in learning how to accomplish this without a webhook. Our users are entering data into Grid Edit and i would like the [Date Quoted] field to auto generate to (today) when [price] is entered. [price] is a currency field that is also tied to another formula field, [total], to generate total cost = [price]*[qty/assy]. I do not see an option to log edits for the [price] field in order to use your low tech solution.

cannot use webhook due to the limitations on how many you can use. sometimes our users are entering or modifying 20+ lines at a time

any suggestions?
  • Re: Cannot use webhook due to the limitations on how many you can use. sometimes our users are entering or modifying 20+ lines at a time

That is not a limitation.  Just use an ACTION ( which is really webhooks for dummies - so I will go dummies any time I can)

Have the Action do the update on the record being edited. 

You will see that it is not obvious how to get an Action to edit the record you are on.

"no problem"

Just create a report links field and configure record ID on the left and navigate on the right to the same app, same table, same Record ID# field.

Then use that for the Report Link in the Action.  Just be sure to set the conditions for the Action so it does not get into a loop and keep firing based on it's own edits.
      JaclynKobza
      Qrew Member
      Thank you!  This explanation solved an issue I was having! :)