Forum Discussion

PaulPeterson1
Qrew Assistant Captain
4 years ago

Track the number of active projects

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but have not found a solution yet.  

I have a checkbox to indicate the active/archived projects.  I am trying to track the active projects over time.  What is the best way to track the number of active projects each day?

------------------------------
Paul Peterson

7 Replies

• You need to add a Summary Field in the relationship... you can get a Count of Projects and filter to make sure that the checkbox is checked... Then on the parent table it'll show the count of Projects that are active

Ryan Stanford
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      Ryan is correct, but there is a 2nd step.  You need to have a dummy record to summarize up to, unless these projects alerady have a parent.
      Ans then have an automation run each night record those totals in a history table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        EvanPettit
        Qrew Member
        Hi Mark,

I have this summary table that counts the number of records for each Status, I'm trying to get a nightly copy, could you help explain what you mentioned above? Trying to keep a daily total for each status.

Evan Pettit
  • Hi Paul,

If being able to create a table of data that would allow you to see at a glance your active projects for every day Mark has absolutely hit on a great technique to do so. If you want an idea of your projects overall  you can use a summary field either based on an existing relationship your projects have to a Parent table or create a new Parent table with a single universal parent record that is related to all of your Projects (If there are specific categories of projects you would like to have an active count on you can also create more then 1 if you want your reporting to be more nuanced but that does take a little more maintenance. Then you can summarize all active projects to either your existing or new table and have a scheduled automation run daily to snag the active count(s) and drop them into an archive table. This way you can run all kinds of metrics if you would like to allow you figure out trends in your active projects like time of the year or specific changes that spur on a larger then normal active project workload, etc. 

If you do need a Universal Parent Record you create a new UPR table and create just one record to serve as your parent. Then on the projects table you can create a quick formula numeric field called UPR and set the formula to the value 1. Then once you save that you go back into that formula, change the field type to a manual numeric field and set the default to 1. That way all your existing records and any new records will have 1 in your UPR field, then when creating the relationship between your UPR table and your Projects table you use your UPR field that is all set to relate things in the background without any need for your users to worry about it.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base