Forum Discussion

WadeMyers
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Trying to auto-populate a field statically

I built an opportunity table with a child table to make quotes. To maintain a unique Quote naming system, I want to use Customer name - Record number (of the Opportunity).

I created a field as a Formula - Text  in the opportunity table. The formula grab the customer name from the Opportunity table, and append the Record number of the Opportunity. 

That part worked well, but the next part did not. What I desire is to click add new Quote, and have the quote name from above appear in a field in the Quote table.
I found that it only brought the record number and lost the customer name. I'm guessing that is because formulas are dynamic and that data is not stored.

I tried using a formula in the form itself, but that didn't work. 

Ideas?

------------------------------
Wade Myers

3 Replies

• It sounds like what you need is a lookup of the [Customer Name-Opportunity Record Number] field. Go to your Table-to-Table Relationships, find the one that relates to Quotes, then click "Add Lookup Fields" button.

With the method you described, however, If you create an additional quote from that opportunity, it will have the same Customer Name-Opportunity Record Number

Ryan Farrington
    Graphic designer, project manager, copywriter, engraver, internal Quick Base developer
    rfarrington@experiencepinpoint.com
      WadeMyers
      Qrew Member
      Correct. That is the purpose, but apparently you can't do that with a formula, or I'm doing something wrong.  

For understanding: An opportunity with our customers typically includes 3 types of services - Architecture, Consulting, and Project Management.

Here's the flow:
      1. A Sales rep either browses to an existing contact or creates a contact
      2. From that contact, clicks Add Opportunity - that part works.
      3. After adding content and saving, the Internal Opportunity field contains "Customer name - Record#"
      4. From the Opportunity form, they will then click "Add Quote" to initiate the first of potentially many lines
      5. The expected results at this point would be that the contents of the Field "Internal Opportunity now contains the same information as in step 3.

Problem -When you click Add a Quote, the only thing it sees is the record number.

I think that I'm doing this wrong by using a formula, but I do have the relationships working already, so that's not the problem

Wade Myers
        WadeMyers
        Qrew Member
        as a follow up, I was having trouble getting back to where this was the condition last night, but now I actually can see the information in the quote. I don't know what I did wrong last night, but after taking a shot at making it present the problem so I could show you some screenshot, lo and behold it is working. So, I guess my approach was correct but I just had something wrong somewhere. Thanks.

Wade Myers