Forum Discussion

JeffPatrick1
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Two Text List Fields - Find value in one and corresponding value in the other Text List

Hi - I have two Text List fields in a table representing tags and their tag id's:

Tag List
Here is sample data             tag1,tag2, tag3

Tag ID List
Here is sample data              8,10,14

There are three tags (tag1,tag2,tag3) and their Tag IDs are 8,10, and 14

I want to search Tag List to find a specific tag, and return the corresponding Tag ID for that Tag.

Is there any way to do this in a formula field?

Thanks

Jeff

------------------------------
Jeff Patrick

4 Replies

• Can you explain the structure of your app so far with respect to these tag names and tag numbers?  

For example is this
     tag1,tag2, tag3

On a record in a long text field or is that multiple records.

When you say "search",  are we just searching the data on one record or on many records?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JeffPatrick1
      Qrew Member
      Hi Mark - Tag List and Tag ID List are text fields on a single record. Search in this case means look (only) at the Tag List text field, find the position of a particular Tag in the list, and then find the corresponding position in the Tag ID List. So, everything is happening on a single record.

Jeff Patrick
        JeffPatrick1
        Qrew Member
        I know I can use Part() function to pull in the Tag ID from the Tag ID List field but I can't figure out how to get the Tag List item # (i.e. not the character position in the text string but rather the nth item on the Text List).​

So, here is the example:

Tag List   
        Sample data   tag1,tag2,tag3

Tag ID List
        Sample data   10,14,18

Is there a function to look at Tag List and find "Tag2" and return Position 2 in the list.

Then, I can use the function: Part([Tag List],2,",") to produce "14" - the second item on the Tag ID list.

Jeff Patrick