Forum Discussion

MattMakris
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Unable to copy file upload field value to another table in Automation editor

I'm creating an automation that copies field values from one table to another. The only field that I am unable to copy is a file upload field. Do automations not allow file upload field copy? Any insight would be very helpful, thanks!

------------------------------
Matt Makris

8 Replies

• Correct, the Automaton will not copy across file attachments.  But It can copy across a link to view the file attachment.

You can make a formula rich text field on the source table called perhaps [View File]

"<a href='"& URLRoot()&"up/"&Dbid()&"/a/r"&[Record ID#] & "/e7/v0' target='_blank' >" & [File] & "</a>"

where you would replace the 7 with the field ID#of the file attachment field.  Get that working on your source table first.

Once that is working, Sync it across to the target table but call it like [View File (raw text)], as it will Sync across as a text field and not a Rich Text field.  

Then create a Formula Rich Text field with the good name of [View File] and the formula will just be

[View File (raw text)]

Lastly, there is the pesky permissions issue. Nothing in Quick Base works without Permissions.  So either you users will need to have access to those Source table records, or else , most conveniently there is a field property on all file attachment fields to allow EOTI access (Everyone On The Internet).

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ScottPugh
      Qrew Cadet
      Mark-  This does answer my question up to the point of permissions...   really what I'm trying to do here is download a file attachment from QB (which then is sent off to an email program as an attachment).  So all of my work is happening via an external service that is calling QB APIs....so using your post I now understand how I can build the URL to download the file attachment- but normally I would be including a user and apptoken in my API calls.... doesnt seem like I can do that in this case?   So not sure how to proceed- and don't love the idea of making the file attachments EOTI

Scott Pugh
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Sorry, but if there is an API call that you can use, why are you saying that you cannot supply a usertoken to deal with permissions?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Your Quick Base Coach
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
      TimEgerton
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Mark,

Thanks for setting out how to do this and we have it working.

Is there a way, rather than download the PDF, to view in a new browser window?

Thanks

Tim

Tim Egerton
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        I believe that's a setting in your Browser as you whether to automatically open files of a certain type.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Your Quick Base Coach
        mark.shnier@gmail.com