Forum Discussion

TateForgey
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

Use New/Updated Flag in Report Filter

QB Update: Update: In late 2021 New and Updated Flags will be reach End of Life and will no longer be available, and this post includes information on this feature. Use report filters and formulas to dynamically filter and flag records you want your users to act on. Unlike new and updated flags, as an app builder you can rely on your reports and formulas to behave consistently for all your users.

[Learn more about: Quick Base’s general approach to retiring features
| New and Updated Flags retirement]

I realize that many people don't want to see the new/updated flag, but I've got some people who LOVE it.  In fact, I have created reports on all the tables in their app that shows only new/updated records so it can be displayed on their homepage, which is easy enough using the checkbox to do that at the bottom of the report definition. 

However, we have hit the 9 report limit on their homepage and they want more. It seems to me that these new/updated reports are largely wasted space most of the time or sometimes duplicate other reports that are showing "In Progress" records, for instance.

So, what I'd really like to do is have those flag values as an actual field.  That way, I wouldn't just have to show only those records I could create an "any" filter to show status = in progress OR flag = updated or new.  Can you access these values in any way?  For instance, could I create a calculated field that somehow had a value set based on what the flag value was?

In lieu of that, if there was a way to use the results of one report in another report I could keep the new updated report and use that as a condition in an "any" filter.  I don't really see a way to do that either, though.

5 Replies

• I would create a formula - checkbox field called New or Recently Updated.  This field will be checked if the record is new or recently updated. It will be up to you to determine the amount of time that defines "new or recently updated".  See example formula below.

You can then use this field as filters in your reports.

var number daysConsideredNewOrRecentlyUpdated = 2;
    If
    (
    ToDays(ToDate([Date Modified])-Today())<$daysConsideredNewOrRecentlyUpdated
    ,true
    ,false
    )
    TateForgey
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Thanks for the reply!  As a surrogate this is great

Still, there is data in QB I wish I could get at.  QB knows the last time someone logged in.  That is how it knows if it should be displaying these flags.  So, if someone logs in every day the flags would go away in 24 hours.  If someone, doesn't log in for a week they still get the benefit of knowing if something has been updated since the last time they have logged in.  It is a powerful personalization that already exists in the system.  I want to use that!  Too bad I don't seem to be able to access this existing piece of data as a piece of data and not just a blanket filter on a report.
      ForrestParker
      Qrew Cadet
      It is too bad.  I am not aware of any ways to access that data.
  • Hi Tate,

If being able to set up a filter to allow you to combine the New and Updated records with a status value as well would be helpful for your business process I would suggest adding that request to our User Voice. It is the user feedback platform our Product Development team uses to track customer feedback on requests for new features and enhancements to existing features. The Quick Base User voice can most easily be accessed from the My Apps page in Quick Base by clicking on the orange Feedback tab that appears on the right of the page or at http://quickbase.uservoice.com by signing in with your Quick Base credentials.

In the interim if your dashboard is getting too cluttered with repeating reports but you would still like to make access to them possible one short term option is to create a button bar with buttons set to open up the reports that have been filtered to only show new and updated records for that user or to show the in progress reports. This way they can at least get to the report with one more click, allowing them to know where to find the report since you are running out of real estate on the Dashboard. 

I hope that information is helpful Tate and thank you very much for your time today. 
      BobThomas
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi,

Okay, glad I checked the forum. I was toggling the show the green or yellow, new or modified records added and wondered why it doesn't work in Feb. 2022. So the option in 'My Preferences' is still there, but doesn't work. Is this toggle going to be removed? 

I will read the comments here how to do. 

This is a learning experience for me as I find it valuable to alert my users to certain new records or changes.

------------------------------
      Bob Thomas
      ------------------------------