Forum Discussion

MikeTamoush
Qrew Commander
3 years ago

User IDs and ToUser function

Two part question, thanks!

1. Does each user have a unique numerical ID, and if so, where can I find it?
2. Can I use the numerical ID with the ToUser function? I ask because I realized that if a user changes their email address, anywhere that I use their email address in a 'ToUser' formula, will break. I was thinking that maybe if I use the number, it would always remain the same?

------------------------------
Mike Tamoush

3 Replies

• I don't believe you can easily change their email address without help from QB support.   That should always be a unique value per user.

Jeff Peterson
      MikeTamoush
      Qrew Commander
      Actually, I recently learned it's fairly easy to change the email address.

1. The user can go into their preferences and change.
      2. Admin can change in their admin panel (if the email extension is assigned in their realm).

Our entire company had to change our email extensions, and thus update our QB logins so I just changed 80ish emails lol. But I realized, I now have a lot of formulas to change. I thought, if I can use a numerical value, in the event anything changes again I would be good.

Mike Tamoush
  • You can access a 'hashed ID' using UserToId() - and you can see all hashed IDs in a user export - but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an 'IdToUser' function or any other obvious way to use the ID to get back to a user.

Jeremy Anson