Forum Discussion

JamesCarr
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

Using A Specific Field's Value In a Formula URL

Greetings,

Is it possible to setup a formula URL that will edit an existing record and populate one field with whatever value is in another field in the same record?  I am having recipients of a notification receive a bar code.  I want to track how many times the bar code is used.  Looks like I can't just simply increment a field's value with an API call so, I am thinking I have to use a field to hold the calculated incremented value.  I'm stuck at this point though because, if the same bar code is used multiple times, I don't have a way to have the newly incremented value utilized in the URL.

Let me know if I need to be more descriptive in order to assist, assuming what I am trying to do can be accomplished.  Thanks in advance for any input / suggestions.

------------------------------
James Carr

9 Replies

• I can try to help if I better understand the ask.  

If the Bar Code were actually a QR code, then you could have the code increment  a counter when it was scanned, and then redirect to some destination URL?  Is that what you are after, or do you simply want to increment a counter before revealing the traditional bar code?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JamesCarr
      Qrew Trainee

Sorry. QR Code is what I should have said. That is the plan. To have the increment happen when the QR code is scanned and show the updated record after the edit is done. 

James Carr
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Well, a QR code can just be the display of a formula URL button.  can you tell me if these users would be logged in to Quickbase?  ie we need to deal with the permissions issue if we are updating records.

So you want to increment a counter field on a record and then display the record?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com