Forum Discussion

QBSystem
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Using FID from another field

I know that you can use [_FID_1] in formula fields instead of using the label of the field. 

My question is if anyone came up with a way to take the field ID from text stored in another field. Let's say I have a field called "FID for First name" and the value is 5. Now when I want to enter the first name in a formula field, I would type. "Hi " & [_FID_{here put the value of the field containing the FID for the first name}]. This sounds like a dream but you never know...

Thanks

------------------------------
Chaim Weiss

2 Replies

AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    I'm confused on what you are trying to do. Can you explain a little bit more about this? What benefit would this provide to you?

In my head I'm just trying to figure out why you would not just do this instead:

"Hi " & [First Name Field]

Or assuming the first name field was FID 5:

"Hi " & [_FID_5]

If the field you are wanting to create has the FID in it and you can then take that FID and use it in a formula that FID could have been used directly in the formula in the first place, right?
      QBSystem
      Qrew Member
      Thanks for the reply. I know I can do that but I want to use a parent setting table where the user can decide which field should be used for certain parts in the formula without having access to the formula settings. Obviously it will not be first name which was only an example.

Thanks again

Chaim Weiss