Forum Discussion

JessicaHarrison
Qrew Member
4 years ago

var text - Placement/Efficiency

I have a field titled Comments (Text) and a field titled Hover (Formula – Rich Text). For the purpose of concise formatting:
  • The Comments field is for text entry only, appearing on forms, but is not displayed in report view, for the purpose of concise formatting.
  • The Hover field does appear on reports: it shows a hyperlink that upon mouse-over, will reveal the comments in a popup bubble. I have accomplished this so far with the following in the Hover field:

"<div style=\"width:10px;\"> "& Left(Right([Comments],"["),0) &"</div>"&

"<a href='"&Dbid()&"?a=dr&rid="&[Record ID#]&"' title='"&[Comments]&"' target\n=\"_blank\" \"> Comments</div></a>"

However, due to an html-related limitation as I understand it, the comment shown upon hover is cutoff at the first appearance of an apostrophe (or single quotation). For example:

Comment says:

Hover only displays:

Documents to be sent to buyer's Florida address

Documents to be sent to buyer

Documents rec'd from seller 1 but not seller 2

Documents rec

One suggestion I found to resolve this was to use the SearchAndReplace function to replace the apostrophes with a character that html will allow:

var text apost = SearchAndReplace([Comments],"'","");
$apost

To be quite frank, I had no idea where to enter this…so I created another field, titled "Comment Transponder" (Formula – Rich Text). It does not appear on reports or forms, and serves only as a relay to remove the single apostrophes so that the apostrophe-less text can then be shown in full upon hover.

Comment says:

Comment Transponder Field says:

Hover now shows:

Documents to be sent to buyer's Florida address

Documents to be sent to buyers Florida address

Documents to be sent to buyers Florida address

Documents rec'd from seller 1 but not seller 2

Documents recd from seller 1 but not seller 2

Documents recd from seller 1 but not seller 2

Is there a more efficient way to do this (that would eliminate the need for the Comment Transponder field)? 

------------------------------
J H
------------------------------