Forum Discussion

EmberKrumwied
Qrew Assistant Captain
8 months ago

View Child records as form not report

Is there an option to show each child record as its own form within a parent form?  I know I can embed/link the records to via a report, but my child data set contains a ton of fields that cause the user to have to scroll to see them all.  Was thinking that if each child record was on its own form, users could just use directional icons to move through each child record.  Displaying on a form would also allow me to take advantage of form formatting to break the fields up to make them easier to read.

------------------------------
Ember

5 Replies

• To walk down a set of records on the embedded report (or for that matter any Table report) , the user can view the first record and then there is an link at the top right for "Next".  If the user right clicks on the eyeball icon it will open up in a new tab and then they can walk down the set of records and still have the main parent open.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      EmberKrumwied
      Qrew Assistant Captain

Thanks for that option...was really hoping for a way to display the child form directly on the parent one and it would have navigation options to move through those child records.  This solution doesn't quite get me to where I need/like to be.

Ember
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Ya, I was offering an alternative as that functionality to scroll through full child record forms is not one I have ever seen a solution for.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
      EmberKrumwied
      Qrew Assistant Captain

Follow up question, is there another type of report that could be configured to show the child records but not in a table like display?

Ember
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

I can think of 2 ways you could accomplish this, one custom, one native. Both come with their own complexities and risks:

OPTION 1:

Do it through a codepage. You can build your own HTML form - query your children and render your own custom form that you can use JS to paginate through in your own design. You can copy the styling from the native QB form to make it feel like its part of the form and feels more seamless if you wanted. This will be your most complex option but will probably get you exactly what you want. 

OPTION 2:

This will be off the beaten path quite a bit so bare with me. I will add that I have used this A LOT lately, just never to this extent of trying to display the contents of an entire child record.

The concept is basically to build a formula-text field using all the HTML Tags/styling that you would want in each child. Basically you make a really complex formula with all the rows, columns, tables etc that you want and style that as if you're trying to recreate the display of a form inside a formula and you do this as a field in your child table.

Then you summarize that text field into your parent record using your relationship and the combined text field, and build essentially a really big combined text field. With that - you can then just display it back with a formula-rich text in your parent record and it renders the compiled version of all your children as a massive HTML block. 

Just to give examples - in some cases I don't like using native Quickbase embedded reports for various reasons including that sometimes I want the width of columns to be exact or I want to color or style specific elements on my own. I build a table row text field in each child record, then summarize into a parent and plot it into a <table> and I build a dynamic table on the fly. I've done similar with building out a 'schedule', plotting out jobs that occur in a given day/hour and positioning each dot between for each hour to visually show it in a way that gantt charts/calendars can't. 

Chayce Duncan