Forum Discussion

BrianDunk
Qrew Cadet
11 months ago

Viewing Records Based on Role and Values in Fields

Hello, I have a table that has a "Warehouse" field and a "Department" Field.  I also have roles setup based on Warehouse i.e "California Shipping Manager".  I was wondering what the best way is to limit the "California Shipping Manager" role to only be able to view records that have "California" as the location and a set of departments that manager manages?  I.e.  "Shipping", "receiving", etc.

thanks

Brian

------------------------------
Brian Dunk

13 Replies

• Brian,

I am assuming that there are many Warehouses in California.

The California Shipping Manager is responsible for all of them.   Here is an architecture that breaks this into pieces for all of it.

You in the Departments table you are assigning a manager to a Location and Department Type

Jim Smith,  Shipping, California

That table inherits Jim Smith's User info from the Managers Table

Once that happens you can use a Pipeline to find all the warehouses in California and create the Warehouse Department records.

The Warehouse Department records will inherit the Manager User field from the Department table.

You can now build reports in the Warehouse Departments table where the Manager Use is the Current User.

Jim Smith will see all the California Warehouse Department records.

Reach out on this if it is not perfectly clear.

Don Larson
      BrianDunk
      Qrew Cadet

Thanks so much for the response.  Was thinking of using a custom rule for the table I want to limit the records to for that role.  Example:  When Warehouse = "California" and department = "Shipping".  This would limit the California Shipping Superivor role to only records that have those values correct?

Brian

Brian Dunk
        DonLarson
        Qrew Commander

As far as I know a Custom Data rule on the table does not change what people can view

https://helpv2.quickbase.com/hc/en-us/articles/4570135620884

As I read it, that will only impact adding and editing the records.

To change what people can see, you can use Reports or Form Rules.    Form Rules do not interpret the title of a role.  Having a role of California Shipping Manager does not let you reference any of the words like California or Shipping.   So you would have to build a rule specific to each Role that show or hide an embedded report on the form.

So you could build Tabs for every role and then the form rule would show that Tab when the person is in that role.

Don Larson