Forum Discussion

RyanHaberman
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

What is EDI? Can Quickbase help?

Hi there,

A client is pressuring us to sign up for an EDI service with SPS Commerce. I tried doing research and just feel dumber than I already do looking at database stuff. I want to keep working with this client so I am wondering if there is a way I can be "EDI compliant" using QB? I do not need end to end integration just enough to allow me to keep working with this client <20 orders per year but avoid the middle man (the BBB reviews are not kind). Is this something a developer could help with / does anyone have experience with SPS commerce or similar integration?

According to SPS DevCenter they use "Retail Standard XML (RSX)"

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Ryan

------------------------------
Ryan Haberman
Making developers crazy since 2008

4 Replies

• I had a similar situation....  I have a very good client with EDI requirements.  EDI "typically" refers to accounting type of transactions so they are looking to automatically receive invoicing, reporting, or other metrics transition between your two systems electronically to minimize manual entry.

I can tell you that we use Quick Books for accounting so EDI was not going to be an option.  We were able to get around it by certain reporting coming out of quick base in a CSV format.  We worked directly with our clients EDI team on their requirements to work out a scenario that worked.  So far so good.  It is not exactly what they wanted but gets the job done.

Ivan Weiss
      RyanHaberman
      Qrew Trainee
      Much appreciated. That is kind of what I am hoping I can do with quickbase - create a file (csv or other) that maps to their fields. The issue I have is their EDI developer has a bad reputation with vendors, overbilling, poor communication, etc. And they will not even talk to us unless we sign a contract with them, which no way I am doing, since the top complaint on BBB is related to contracts. Thanks for the advice.

Ryan Haberman
        IvanWeiss
        Qrew Captain
        That sounds like a bit of a catch 22 if you cant work it out until signing a contract.  best of luck with it!

Ivan Weiss
  • EDI, or Electronic Data Interchange is commonly used in the ecommerce world to integrate orders and shipments between vendors retailers drop shippers, and 3PL fulfillment providers.
    You typically see them in action with ERPs like NetSuite, SAP, Acumatica, and the like.
    SPS is what is commonly referred to as a VAN (Value Added Network), or an intermediary between the retailer and the integrating party (Trading Partners).
    Depending on the retailer, they may or may not provide alternate integration methods like API or some other direct method. In many cases unfortunately you are forced to use the retailer's designated VAN as much as they may be a pain.
    Interesting that for under 20 order per year they are even pursuing an EDI integration as the cost and overhead to maintain it would be more then it's worth. Would be better to use a manual option if available.
    First step i would start with is find out which retailer they are working with, what all their integration options are, and what data needs to be exchanged with QuickBase

Simon H