Forum Discussion

MichaelTamoush
Qrew Captain
5 years ago

The browse fucntion in a related field

When relating tables and making a selection from the related field - I've noticed that after a certain qty of entries (anyone know this number? 1000? 5000?), the search changes and allows for a 'Browse' option, and you get a pop up and can browse.

Is there a way to force this behavior to always happen, or set the number of choices lower so it happens sooner?

------------------------------
Mike Tamoush

3 Replies

• I believe at 1,000 records you are forced into Browser.  There used to be a setting to force the browse  type record picker, but I think that when they improved the way that the drop downs filter they took away that option.  It must be an unusual use case to want the Browse method.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      That's true for me - it is just one particular unusual case that it would be helpful. Normally I just filter it to a smaller amount of choices.

My use case is that in a certain scenario, my users are in grid edit mode and need to select a certain record from a record picker dropdown. The problem is, they can't just type in the record ID number and search, like in many other places in QB. They literally have to scroll down a list of 800 items and find the one they want. The record ID is my first field, but it doesnt just say the number, the report automatically lists the field name then a hyphen, then the record ID. I believe when you type to search it is only looking at the first character, so its always pointing and searching the field name.

Mike Tamoush
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Sorry, I did not realize you were in Grid Edit.  Go to the field properties for [Related Parent] and check the box for

Use a record picker instead of a drop down menu for grid edit

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com