Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 12-29-2019 22:11

Hi All, 

Quick question as this would really speed up some work - When creating a formula URL (button) to add a new record in another table and copy the following fields, do you need to use the actual field name for the source data in the code or can you go from fid to fid?

Ex (that isn't working):
    Question: & "&_fid_123=fid_62"
             VS
    Standard: & "&_fid_123=" & [Name]

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Chris

• 2.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 12-29-2019 23:07
    Chris,

An interesting idea. 

I tested it inside of the same table with an API_EditRecord and it would not write the value from one FID to another FID using  just the field ID.

Perhaps someone else knows a syntax where it will work without using the field name.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 3.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-01-2020 19:05
    I don't think there is a simple (or native) way to do what you're looking for.

I have two recommendations to speed up your work.

The first option would be to create a set of variables that reference all the fields you might be using in a particular table then paste use those variables in the beginning of every formula.

Example:

var text FIELDONE = [Field 1];
    var text FIELDTWO = [Field 2];
    var text FIELDFOURTWO = [Field 42];

Then you could do something like this in your formulas:
    & "&_fid_42=" & $FIELDFOURTWO

Of course, without the use of numbers in variables it could get a little messy.

A second option would be to add the field number to the field's name such as [Status 62].

Then when writing the formula you could quickly add it with the CTRL+Shift+Space shortcut to access all of the fields & functions then type the field ID to quickly search and choose from the menu that pops up.

Let me know if either of these are helpful 👍😀
    –Sharon

Sharon Faust (QuickBaseJunkie.com)
    Founder, Quick Base Junkie
    https://quickbasejunkie.com

• 4.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-02-2020 13:55
    What browser do you use? On Chrome 79 and ctrl+shift+space does nothing for me. I tried in many different formula fields including a formula url. I am going to guess you use a different browser as your blank lines in the formula are all numbered and at least for me in Chrome only the lines I've filled out are numbered.

Are there any steps other than the ones you mentioned? Just hit that key combination while the text cursor is in the box and something should popup?

• 5.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-02-2020 13:57
    Ms. Junkie's tip worked for me on Chrome on a Mac. It was a great tip.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-02-2020 14:53
    Hi Austin,

I'm also using Chrome 79 on a Mac (but have been told this works on a PC as well). If you're using a Mac it is the Control key and not the Command key, if that makes a difference. The reason you see the additional numbered lines is because I moved some of my formula down for the screenshot as it showed my app token.

I've found the menu appears when you press Ctrl+Shift+Space
    • on a blank link
    • after a space in a formula 
    • after a letter that corresponds to a function or field, where there is a space before it or it's the only item on the line

If you press the combination in the middle of a text string or directly after any item you may just see a "No matches found".

• 7.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-02-2020 15:53
    I tried everything you mentioned before I had posted so I am out of ideas then. It is a PC, no idea what is causing it to not work for me. It isn't a big loss though as I didn't know about it before. Can't really lose something you didn't have lol. Thanks anyway though I appreciate the response.

• 8.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-02-2020 09:10
    There is no native way to do this within QB that I could find.  Sharon's CTRL+Shift+Space tip is the best option on time savings when writing the formulas. Another option is to use Automations as well, it takes away most of the typing in formula writing in creating new records. I have replaced almost all of my buttons to create new records with automations.

jason johnson

• 9.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-02-2020 09:36
    I figured as much, but I wanted to be sure there wasn't a quicker way. 

Thanks, Everyone!

Chris

• 10.  RE: Formula URL - Add Record fid's

Posted 01-02-2020 14:58
    Hi Jason, 

I'm glad you found the CTRL+Shift+Space option helpful. Automations can be a good option too, but there are often reasons to choose Buttons over Automations and vice versa.

I created a video breaking down the differences to consider.
    https://www.quickbasejunkie.com/automations-vs-apis