Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

I Need One Field To Auto Populate

• 1.  I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 04:18
    Hello,

I've tried report links, URL's, Formulas etc...and I can't seem to get it to communicate.

I have a customers table, where I input all their information for their "account" (Email, Phone, Address)
    and I have a service call table, this table is something I fill out when they request work to be done. When work is requested by calling me, I have on their account page a "add service call" button in their account, it directs me to my "service call table"
    How can I get it, so when I press "add service call" it auto populates their specific information into the service call? (Name, Phone Number, Address, E-Mail) while still allowing me to modify the details of the work they want done?
    Is this possible? I know how to get two fields to speak to each other when within the same table, but can't seem to get separate table fields to talk.

------------------------------
    Newman, Savi

• 2.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 08:04

The typical set up needs to be a relationship where one customer has many service calls. Then you edit that relationship and add look up fields to bring down customer information fields like their address down to the service call record. Be sure that those fields appear on the Service call form.  

then if you need additional fields on the service call form specific to the service call then you would create new fields on the Service Call record  and add them to the form

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 12:19
    I am a newbie, I have added the look up fields, maybe I did it wrong.

But after saving, and clicking "add a new service call" from the customer's table it doesn't populate the customers information from the account page.

Now, I have made it so on each customer page - they have any related service calls displayed on their account.

Attached is some pictures for reference.

Newman, Savi

• 4.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 13:01
    Are you saying that the embedded report of service calls on the customer page does not show the field you want? Or are you saying that the service call record itself does not show the field you want?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 13:14
    More of, when I click "Add DW Service Call" from the customers page, and it redirects me to adding a new service call, I want it to auto fill the following fields that is related to the customer: Site Address, Phone Number and Name

Newman, Savi

• 6.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 14:54
    Unless you have a complex need where the user might need to modify the site address, phone number, or the name, all you want to do is bring down those fields down to the child table and put those look up fields on the form. Then they will auto populate. They will not be editable they will simply auto populate. 

If you have created manual fields for those on the service call then I think you need to delete those fields and just use the look up fields on the child record.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 15:28
    On the images you attached, the lookup fields come from 'Related Customer 2'. Do you have more than one relationship? It's possible you accidentally created the relationship twice and are using the lookup fields from the wrong relationship.

Can you screen shot your relationships?

Mike Tamoush

• 8.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 17:01
    So I have actually figured out how to get the auto population problem fixed, but now doing that, it has "undid" an additional thing.

I want to be able to add a service call from the customer page, and have their information auto fill. Check.
    However, I want their existing service calls (before this feature) to be listed as well.
    Can I not have the best of both worlds?

Newman, Savi

• 9.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 17:06
    Are you saying that when you first created the app you did not have a relationship between customers and Service Calls and that you used to hand enter the customer information? I am not really understanding your question.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 17:24
    Ok, sorry, I am talking like you're apart of my process and know exactly what's happening here, and I apologize for that.

So, my customers page - and my service call page have a relationship. The relationship between them is Many Service Calls belong to one Customer.
    With that relationship, it allows me to add a service call, from the customer page and it populates the information of the customer for me, within the service call form.
    Once I save and close said service call, it gives me a "report" of all the service calls related to that customer I made.
    It's amazing and works beautifully now.
    However, before I had the "auto fill" feature, I had a setting where I would manually enter the customer information into the service call form - if the name matched in each table (customer being Savi, and service call being Savi) - it would give me a report (list) of all service calls with their associated name and list it on the customers page.
    I need all the service calls, that have the same name as the customer page to populate in the report as well, so I don't have to go back and "add a service" call under their name for it to show up.

Does that make any sense? I am not so much with the jargon, so I am trying!

Below is attached photos - as to what I mean.

Newman, Savi

• 11.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 17:37
    I suggest making a new field on the customer form of type Report Link.  The edit the field properties for the new field to match the Customer Name (on the left side of the configuration) with the customer name on the Service Request table (right side of the configuration).

Then put that Report Link field on the Customer form.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: I Need One Field To Auto Populate

Posted 01-17-2022 19:19
    I can't seem to figure it out, once I get one working the other stops, and vice versa.

I will have to wait for support to connect with me.

Newman, Savi