Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Status Update Button

Posted 07-09-2020 13:40
    I have a status field that is only accessible to users in a specific role.  What I would like to do is add a button for other users who do not have access to the field to change the status field from rejected to waiting for response.  I created a button that will change the status when tested in admin mode, but when tested in the role in question I get a permission error, which makes sense.  Is it possible to accomplish the above scenario without giving the other users access to the status field?

------------------------------
    Paul Peterson

• 2.  RE: Status Update Button

Posted 07-09-2020 13:48
    What is the reason the users cannot have access to that field if it is only for the status? 

Are there any other actions that are performed on the record  when that status needs to be set that you may be able to use as a trigger for a form rule?

I don't know if this is best practice in this case but you could have a checkbox(can get annoying on forms) that is only shown to users in the roles without access to the Status field. An automation could watch for this box to be checked and when it is it could perform the action you want of changing the status.

• 3.  RE: Status Update Button

Posted 07-09-2020 14:27

The reason we don't want to give the other users access to the status field is to prevent them from changing the status to complete.  We only want them to have the ability to change the status back to waiting for approval.

The checkbox idea may work as a last resort.  The table in question is getting huge at the moment and I am trying to minimize the number of new fields at the moment.

Paul Peterson

• 4.  RE: Status Update Button

Posted 07-09-2020 15:40
    Assuming the button has some JavaScript behind it, using APIs to update the status field, those APIs will work based off of the current user's permissions based on the cache in the browser.

What you might be able to do instead, is to add the status field, but have a dynamic form rule which will check for the role of the user, and prohibit the save or status be "complete" when they attempt to change the value.

Ryan Stanford