Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  How to import MULTIPLE tables beyond the intitial one

Posted 01-11-2021 17:23
    I'm testing QB, and can't believe I can only import one table when I create an app.... that is unfathomable.  And before anyone says, "Yes, but you can 'connect' to a CSV file or build it from scratch!"... I have to ask isn't "building from scratch" something that might also include IMPORTING another table????????   Seems kind of ridiculous to build another table from scratch when I've already imported one table easily, and I have more to import.  Instead of taking 30 seconds to import, I've got to spend 30+ minutes manually re-creating the other spreadsheet?

Sorry to be a little frustrated.  I really like what I'm seeing so far and have tested a few other "low-code" platforms but this is the first that can't seem to handle if you have more than one spreadsheet to import.  That's an extremely basic concept... and if you let me import one...   it just makes no sense at all.

------------------------------
    John

• 2.  RE: How to import MULTIPLE tables beyond the intitial one

Posted 01-11-2021 17:42
    np,
    Once an app exists you can create an additional table with no fields.  Then import an excel or csv file.  Quick Base will offer to auto create the missing fields for you with the same names as the column headings on hour import and take a guess at the field types.  Just correct any mis-guesses about the field types and import.  You will then have both data and the fields to hold the data.

You can do this as many times as you like to create successive additional tables by importing data.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: How to import MULTIPLE tables beyond the intitial one

Posted 01-11-2021 18:01

Thanks Mark! 

The "import" function was definitely hidden... it should be a plainly-stated 3rd option alongside "build from scratch" and "connect"...

Now that I have the 2 tables, I was able to establish a relationship between the 2 but there's no clear way to tell it what the primary and foreign keys are.  Is there a secret way to establish and define what fields in the child table are related to the parent?

John

• 4.  RE: How to import MULTIPLE tables beyond the intitial one

Posted 01-11-2021 18:05
    np, when you look at the field list, there is a gold Key that indicated the Key field.  In Quick Base each table may have have a single Key field.  

When you make a relationship, you can either allow Quick Base to create a field to join he tables (the foreign Key) or you can select one of the fields that you imported.   A reference field (what you call a foreign key) may also be a formula field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com