Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

• 1.  Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-13-2021 22:47

Hello,
    I want to create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table that is related to what's on the current record.

I want a button to go in the green circle and open that report that's embedded and related to that unit.
    Thank you! And I'm such a novice, so please be elementary with me :)

------------------------------
    Renee Hansen

• 2.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-13-2021 22:56
    Renee, I'm sure we can do this, but I just need a bit more information.
    It's also helpful if we can use your real table names

I see that one  table is called Calc Entries? 

If you are just looking to show an embedded table of calc entries matching he field on our record, hen you can create a report link field and set the left side to be that field you have circles, and then on the right aside, locate the matching field in calc entries.

If what I posted above does not seem to answer your question can you describe any relationships you have between these two tables and tell us the name of these two tables so we can refer to them. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-14-2021 09:46

Hi!

Yes, in my mind it seems like it should be something we could do :)

Ok, let me explain a little further:

I have a units table that shows all of the information for that unit, and each unit has a well or many wells. Each well has net royalty interest (NRI) that we get paid on.

So we have units, wells, and calculations for the NRI (calc sheet).

The relationship for the calc sheet is Leases & Units + Calc Sheet which is a join table for the leases and units.

Accounting needs to verify the NRI before assuming it's correct.  So my idea is:

To have a button that says "request nri verification" that opens up that units calc sheet in a special/unique form: 

So then, we can approve/not approve for accounting.
    additionally, on this form shown above - I'd like approve button, not approve button, and the reasons and/or notes. 
    Then a button to email it to accounting and then they can print the hard copy for their records.
    So it's a multi-step issue - and I feel like the first part is just getting a button created that will open this form that shows the calc sheet for the related unit.
    does that explain it better? 
    Thank you!!!
    Renee

Renee Hansen

• 4.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-14-2021 09:56
    *also if there is a better way to do this, I'm open to suggestions.

Renee Hansen

• 5.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-14-2021 10:23
    Do these only need to be approved once? Or is this a monthly (or other regular time period) approval process? If it's more than one time, you may want to consider having a separate Review/Approval record that is a child to the Unit.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 6.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-14-2021 10:39

These only need to be approved once, and we don't need to keep an ongoing record of approval. It's more-so for accounting to know "yes we are getting paid the correct amount, you can file this away"

And I'll note: the special form i created for this is on the Units table, but the embedded report is coming for the calc sheet table, so I'm wondering do i need to change that special form to be on the calc sheet table?

Renee Hansen

• 7.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-14-2021 11:40
    Since your parent record is the Unit and the child is the Calc Sheet, unless you want each individual Calc Sheet record to require it's own approval, you'll probably want to keep the process and this form on the Units level.

And, since you only need to do the approval once, your button doesn't really need to do anything except mark a Unit record as ready to be approved, using whatever fields you have as a flag. You may want another button for the Accounting department that allows them to switch between the standard form and the approval form, but that's up to you. If this is the only time Accounting looks at the form, maybe the approval form is their default form instead of your standard form. Then, give them a button that marks the record as approved.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 8.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-14-2021 11:43

Correct.

So i have the button that opens the embedded report, but I need the embedded report to open in the form I created for it.

So kirk helped with the button:
    URLRoot()&"db/"&[_DBID_ASSET_LEASES___UNITS]&"?a=q&qt=tab&dvqid=8&query={'9'.TV.'"&[UNIT]&"'}&clist=9.77.78.81.80.79.40.24.21.59.75.25.49.10.31.46.38.17.39.18&opts=nos.qws."

The form is on the Units table, and the form ID is 11

Renee Hansen

• 9.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 11:02

Ok, so I looked at Kirk's response on your other post and I think he must not have realized exactly what you were trying to do. You're not actually trying to open an embedded report. What you're actually wanting to do is just change the form that the user is on. That form simply happens to have a specific embedded report on it. Kirk's solution is definitely useful for doing a query, but is a bit of overkill for what you're wanting to do.

To allow a user to switch from their Standard form to the Approval form, you will just need a button that uses "&dfid=##" in the URL. This small addition to a URL directs Quick Base to present a specific form (dfid). Since the user is on the table they need to be on and just need to switch forms, your formula would look something like this:

var text name = "Open Approval Form";

"<a class='Vibrant Success' & href=" &

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=dr&dfid=10&rid=" & [Record ID#]

& "><span class='Text'>" & $name &"</span></a>"

In this example, I've used 10 for the DFID, but you will need to look at your list of Forms for your Unit table and see what ID has been assigned to the Approval form and replace that 10 with the correct number.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 10.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 11:15

Hi Blake,
    Yes, that's what I was trying to get at :)

I copied that formula

replaced the Form ID to 11

var text name = "Open Approval Form";

"<a class='Vibrant Success' & href=" &

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=dr&dfid=11&rid=" & [Record ID#]

& "><span class='Text'>" & $name &"</span></a>"

And I'm getting an error message:

Renee Hansen

• 11.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 11:28
    Can you open your formula and take a screenshot of it? Also, this formula is on the same table where your Approval form is, right?

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 12.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 11:50

Yes, they're both on the units table.
    Appreciate you!

Renee Hansen

• 13.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 12:15
    Ok, I see the issue and I apologize - I failed to mention that my formula requires the field to be a Formula Rich Text field instead of a Formula URL. Change that and let me know if that resolves the issue.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 14.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 14:36

That worked perfectly, Blake - thank you!

I just had a thought - what if I wanted to make this a button on their dashboard - so they could open up that form, pick which unit to request approval for?

I'm thinking I would need to have a record picker on that form, but how would that change the formula?

Renee Hansen

• 15.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 15:58
    Well, the only way to have this type of a button on a dashboard would be to have a report of the records and have the button in the report - you can't actually build a record picker on the dashboard.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 16.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 17:52

True about the record picker on the dashboard.
    I meant to say - I want

1. the record picker on the Approval Form
    2. the button that you helped with above on the dashboard.

Renee Hansen

• 17.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-15-2021 17:57

So i have the button on the dashboard,
    and here is the approval form that opens up - instead of it going to Unit SGL 179 1, I'd like them to pick which unit it goes to, and then that unit info (calc sheet) will populate on the form.

Renee Hansen

• 18.  RE: Create a button that displays an embedded report from a different table

Posted 01-17-2021 15:22
    Because your form is on the Units table, in order to go to the form, you have to already know which record you want to show on that form. So, instead of having a button that takes them to the form, maybe you should build a report on the Units table that shows the information you want them to identify which Unit they should be opening along with the button to open the form. This way, they'll have a button on the dashboard and be able to see a listing of Units to choose from.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA