Expand all | Collapse all

Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

QuickBaseCoach Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach Dev./Training09-07-2016 00:24

Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja09-07-2016 00:59

• 1.  Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-06-2016 23:33

I have discovered that  I cannot copy and paste cells from Excel or indeed any file format into grid edit if I am using Chrome.  But this can be done Internet Explorer.  Have others experienced the same issue and did someone manage to get around this issue rather than using IE. 

• 2.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-06-2016 23:52
    Re: did someone manage to get around this issue rather than using IE.

Firefox.

But I know that is not what you meant :)  I don't know a way to paste to Chrome.

In my opinion, for users, actually IE is fast enough and has the most features.
    For developers where speed is everything Chrome is the best because its the fastest.
    FF is in the middle.  Probably faster than IE, but not as many features, but more features than Chrome.

• 3.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-06-2016 23:53
    Thanks. The issue is in large companies, I or the users simply cannot change the platform.  So not to sure how to switch.  This is dictated by IT policy.

• 4.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-07-2016 00:24
    Interesting, so the Corporate Policy in this case is Chrome?

• 5.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-07-2016 00:59
    Yes. Google platform all across.

• 6.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-07-2016 02:39
    Out of curiosity, can you copy and paste from google spreadsheets to Chrome Grid Edit?  That would be within the family,  Google to Google. I think there is no love between Microsoft and Google (Excel and Chrome).

• 7.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-07-2016 02:49
    No, does not work that way either.  I think QB need to look into this quite seriously.

• 8.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-08-2016 21:25
    Hey Arshad,

We are aware of this issue, the problem however is not within QuickBase, it is completely dependent on the source of the data and where it is being pasted.  At this time we are unaware of any way around this problem, but it is possible that with future updates to browsers this functionality may become available.  In the meantime I would suggest making use of the Import from clipboard or Import from file functions.

• 9.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-08-2016 21:58
    Thanks.  I am sorry I don't understand the logic here. If IE can handle the pasting and Chrome cannot, then the common thread is the QB. This can not be any other way. Data sources are standard like MS Office apps. My app resides in Chrome and not willing to accept paste.

When you say via clip board, is this not I am doing when I am copying a cell from Excel and pasting in a cell in grid edit in QB?

• 10.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-09-2016 14:49
    The option to Paste is actually based on the browser being used, and different browsers will allow pasting in different ways and from different sources.  IE may allow pasting without any issues, while safari and chrome can only paste when you double-click the text box and bring up the cursor to paste only in that cell.  Firefox allows you to "Paste Special" which is very similar to the "import from clipboard" option in the More > Import/Export menu, but can be done directly into Grid Edit.

Importing via clipboard will get you almost exactly the same functionality of pasting directly into Grid Edit without having to hassle with how your browser handles the Paste function.

• 11.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 09-18-2016 00:27
    I cannot give importing option to my users. If this is an issue, then  someone should own it up and fix it as this is causing us issues in having our team to copy and paste in grid edit.

• 12.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 02-15-2019 08:49
    Does anybody find solution in Chrome to paste in Grid Edit?
    Maybe there is a need to turn-on some chrome://flags which would allow such functionality?

• 13.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 02-15-2019 13:29
    BTW - I issued this question with example to Google Chrome team.
    Wondering if they replay anything :)

• 14.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 02-15-2019 14:40
    We have not, and we played around with it for about 30 minutes (about 1 month ago) before giving up and going to IE for any time that we had to copy and paste from excel. Annoying, for sure. 

I'll wait for QB to respond, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

• 15.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 07-27-2019 04:06
    I just tried IE and it did not work. Mozilla paste special worked. At least one option to quickly paste excel data without going from one cell to another on grid edit. Would love to have the same functionality in Chrome. 

• 16.  RE: Copying and Pasting in Grid Edit

Posted 07-29-2019 05:13
    IE works for me (but not edge).
    Comment to QB team, maybe it will be possible to use similar approach as Microsoft on theirs Online Office versions. Where you can copy from and paste to other desktop applications_