Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Creating Pipelines with Multiple admin best practice

Posted 11-10-2021 13:28

It seems that if I create a pipeline, as it is my user token, only I can see the pipelines I have created.

What is the best practice when you have multiple QB developers, all wanting to create pipelines? One person creates all...? I want other admin to be able to troubleshoot or update all pipelines. I guess this is not possible.

How do other people handle this?

------------------------------
    Michael Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Creating Pipelines with Multiple admin best practice

Posted 11-10-2021 15:34
    What we do is use our service account to create them. This is a paid seat we use as the owner of automation, notifications, and pipelines now. That way if any admin ever leaves there is not a scramble to make sure nothing is in their name that may quit working when their permissions are removed.

With Pipelines if you have your service account create them all and everyone has access to login to it it works well enough. It works even better for realm admins obviously as they have the ability to basically test as any account in Pipelines, so they can just create them in that account without even logging in. It's actually very frustrating that Quickbase literally has the functionality to share Pipelines but they have chosen to bar it behind needing to be a realm admin.

• 3.  RE: Creating Pipelines with Multiple admin best practice

Posted 11-10-2021 16:36
    Do you know if customer service can switch all my currents pipelines to a service account, if I decide to go that direction?

Michael Tamoush

• 4.  RE: Creating Pipelines with Multiple admin best practice

Posted 11-11-2021 09:02
    We do the same thing as our app admins are not realm admins.  We have a service user that everyone has access to.  Then we have the builder put their initials after the name, so I can tell who built it as well as the scheduled time, if scheduled.    Any time we touch a pipeline, they have to pull a yaml before they start and we upload it into QuickBase, and we retain the last 5 versions, so that if there is an issue we can restore.  Tags have also been very helpful as the number of pipelines has exploded over the past few months.  

I don't know if support can migrate them for you, but you can always export them, and then go in and change the yaml so that your account slugs and any usertokens are updated to the new user before reuploading them under your service user.

Sean Boat-Moore
    Manager SMB Development
    Project Management Office and Quality Control
    NCR Corporation
    sean.boat-moore@ncr.com | ncr.com

• 5.  RE: Creating Pipelines with Multiple admin best practice

Posted 11-12-2021 10:48
    Thanks for all the tips. One more question regarding a service account -

Is it possible for me to login under my account, but create a pipeline connection using the service account token? So that I can build a pipeline logged in with my email, but have it associated with the service account?

Michael Tamoush