Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Sorting a Summary Report

• 1.  Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 09-28-2017 19:06
    I have a summary report showing calls made by date.  Its summarized by date.  I am using the system create date as the grouping date.  The report sorts in asending order by default.  I am trying to get it to sort by desending order so the latest date is on the top.  How can this be done?

• 2.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 09-28-2017 19:12
    Go to sorting section below and select Custom Order.
    Select Sort By and from high to low.

See Picture Attached.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 09-28-2017 19:52
    On a summary report, you might have to go to the "default report setting" and set the "default sort order" in the way you wanted to get it appear correctly on your summary out put. I have not tried this, but do try and see. Hope it helps.

• 4.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 09-28-2017 19:54
    I believe you are referring to regular reports.  I am working with a summary see the screen shot below.  I do not have such an option.

• 5.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 09-28-2017 21:26
    When you have a Summary Report which is using the group by for the columns, then you cannot control the sort.

Try removing the group by columns  (don't have to save, just to see the behavior) and you will see the option to sort.

• 6.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 07-25-2018 07:50
    Are there any work-arounds for this?

• 7.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 07-28-2021 11:51
    I have the same question.

------------------------------
    Kevin BP

• 8.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 03-21-2022 17:20
    Anyone ever come up with a work around for this? Sorting Descending when using the group by columns?

Mike Tamoush

• 9.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 03-21-2022 19:23
    If you are willing to be a contortionist there might be a way. The summary report is still going to sort alphabetically on the first column. It might be possible to create a field using HTML where the HTML will sort properly but to the naked eye, users will just see words.

So for example if you wanted to start on a numeric field you would have to can drive some heading HTML that would have a correct sort. Is it a numeric field you wanna sort on? Do you wanna sort ascending or descending?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 03-21-2022 19:29
    Date field trying to sort descending.

Mike Tamoush

• 11.  RE: Sorting a Summary Report

Posted 03-21-2022 19:41
    I have these cheat notes

Here is a trick that worked for me.
    Let's say you have [Name] which is the text you want in the report, but you want to sort it by another field [Name Sort Ordinal]. Create a Formal - Rich Text field [Display] like this and use it instead of [Name]:

"<span data-ord='" & [Name Sort Ordinal] & "'>" & [Name] & "</span>"

You might need to pad the ordinal with spaces or zeros if you have numbers with more than 9 values etc. because this will be sorted as text, not as numbers.

This works because the attribute in the span tag is not displayed, but it will be part of the text that Quick Base sorts for the report, and the attribute comes before the actual display text. Only the text part between the <span></span> tags will actually be displayed.

So the trick would be to contrive a field that sorts correctly, given that you want descending, so you might need to have a zero padded number which ends up being low for near dates and high for old dates.

PadLeft(
    Todays(AdjustYear(Today(),10) - [my date field]),6,"0")

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com