Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Using formula field to delay notification

Posted 08-15-2017 18:39
     I need for a notification to be sent after 60 minutes. I have setup the appropriate formula field, but the issue I am having is that even though the new formula duration field functions properly, the notification is not being fired because a new "save" hasn't occurred to the record (which typically triggers the notification). Is there a way to get around this and somehow base it on a date/time field?  I understand this is not currently a feature for QB, yet I've seen some conversations that appear to have workarounds - just am having issues implementing the same.  Is there anyone out there that could assist?

• 2.  RE: Using formula field to delay notification

Posted 08-16-2017 22:52
    The way our developer would probably handle this would be to have a php script running under cron on a Linux server. It would run, say, every 15 minutes and look for any records in your table that have a date-time value in your formula field on or before the current time that hadn't been processed yet. And you'd need another date-time field that the script would update for [Notification Sent]. Then, set up a notification rule that would fire whenever this Notification Sent field had been updated.

I wish we could do cron-like event handling in QB natively, but alas....