Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Where to start? Request for Quotes to users outside our company

Posted 04-11-2018 13:35
    Looking for ideas...

I need a simple App or a Table that I can input component part numbers into in which I need quotes for. 
    I would then grant access to this table or app to our suppliers. They need to only be able to see the request for quotes that are directed to their company since the same list of parts may be sent to multiple suppliers. I do not want them to see each others quotes.

example:
    I have a customer drawing for an assembly that consists of 5 components (some connectors and some wires). I need to enter the MFG name and Part numbers of these 5 components into a table each with their own Line Item #.

Line 1 Sent to ABC, Inc
    Line 2 Sent to ABC, Inc
    Line 3 Sent to Wire, Co
    Line 4 Sent to Wire, Co
    Line 5 Sent to Wire, Co

Somehow notify my suppliers there is a Request for Quote ready for them. They can then log in and see the parts needed to be quoted. Enter their pricing, hit submit and be done. I am okay with them being able to view their past quoted entries, but do not want them to have access to other suppliers entries. So ABC, Inc cannot see Wire, Co pricing.

Bonus points if all the parts that need to be quoted show up on a grid edit form as opposed to having to open each line and add pricing one at a time. This way if their system generates quotes in a spreadsheet form, they can simply copy and paste the data into QB and submit.

What is the easiest way to do this? I was looking for an already created app but could not find anything that would work for our company.

Please no third party add-on recommendations. This option has already been vetoed.

Thanks in advance!!!

• 2.  RE: Where to start? Request for Quotes to users outside our company

Posted 04-11-2018 16:52
    Hi Mkosek,

Typically the easiest way to control what users in your applications can and cannot see is to tie their viewing permissions to their role. This can be accomplished a few ways. One option is to create a field on that record that is a dropdown of your suppliers name. Then for each supplier you would create a Role in the Application. For Example I have Paper Corp as a supplier so in my supplier multiple choice I have an option for "Paper Corp. I then create a role that has custom view permissions on my Components table that users in the Paper Corp role can only see records where the Supplier field is equal to "Paper Corp". That is one of the most basic set ups and just requires a role for each supplier that you then assign to the user from that supplier. 

You can take this simpler workflow and expand it so that instead of just using a Dropdown you have a Supplier table related to your Component's table that lists each supplier and their team members so that you can then build your permissions off of that. Largely it depends on how many suppliers you are going to want to maintain. I hope this suggestion is helpful Mkosek. 

• 3.  RE: Where to start? Request for Quotes to users outside our company

Posted 04-12-2018 14:27
    Thanks Evan. This is sort of the route I took as well. Before i went all in I just wanted to see if there was a shortcut. No problem - it seems to be working just fine with a few minor hiccups. I am having to duplicate some lines in order to get the same item quoted from multiple Suppliers. Otherwise when Supplier A completes the quote, it disappears on the TO BE QUOTED list for Supplier B. To fix this I duplicate the line and set the specific Supplier for each line. Not the quickest solution but it does work. 

We have the Premier plan which has a 20 user minimum. My new concern is that as we add more suppliers (users) to have access to our app that we will reach a limit. I cannot for the life of me find out what that limit is. All i see is a minimum...any idea what the LIMIT is for this plan?

• 4.  RE: Where to start? Request for Quotes to users outside our company

Posted 04-12-2018 15:06
    Having multiple suppliers interact with the same quote can require that extra bit of complexity long term. A Premier plan does default to 20 users but it is possible for an Account to increase their user count if they would like. For that you would want to get in touch with your Account Executive, they help to discuss and manage Account level changes like that. If you aren't familiar with your Account Executive, our Care team can always get you in touch with them via a Support Case. They are a great resource for future planning on your Account and questions on your plan and billing.