Forum Discussion

FrankCusack
Qrew Member
4 years ago

API to transfer Data from one field to another

Hey Everybody,

I am trying to figure out a way to write either an automation or an API that will transfer data from a Text field to a drop down field in a form that I am working on? My manager that is asking for this has already matched the text field with the options that she wants in the drop down menu, and would just like to batch transfer the data from the text field into the Dropdown. Is this possible?

------------------------------
Frank Cusack

3 Replies

KirkTrachy1
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Hi Frank:
    Create a formula url field and insert something like the following:

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord" &
    "&rid=" & [Record ID#] &
    "&apptoken=d9eascudwjxs2sesxkjccwgtq9r" &
    "&_fid_28=" & [Text Field] &
    "&rdr=" &
    URLEncode(URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() &
    "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID#])

This formula url field will create a button that will edit the record and take the value in the Text Field and insert it into fid_28 and then redirect to the same record in display mode.

The [Text Field] is the source text field and when the button is pressed this will insert that text into fid-28 which is your multiple choice drop down field. (NOTE: Be sure to allow the field to allow new additions. Edit the field properties and make sure the "Allow users to create new choices" checkbox is checked or you won't be able to add new values to that field.

Another option may be to use a Pipeline.  Decide what your triggering event is and you could use that triggering event to fire a Pipeline that edits the record and take the value from the text field and insert it into the multiple choice drop down box.  It really will depend on your triggering event.

We cover things like this in our daily, (M-F at 1pm Eastern) "Office Hours" webinars.

Kirk Trachy , Senior Solutions Consultant
    QuickBase | 603-674-5454 M | ktrachy@quickbase.com
      FrankCusack
      Qrew Member
      Thanks for this. I was also wondering, would it work too if I changed the option for input on the text box to input from list? and add the dropdown options to the original text box.

Frank Cusack
        KirkTrachy1
        Qrew Assistant Captain

Frank:

I'm not clear on what you are asking.  Please be more explicit.

Kirk Trachy , Senior Solutions Consultant
        QuickBase | 603-674-5454 M | ktrachy@quickbase.com