Forum Discussion

JulieMeeker
Qrew Trainee
5 months ago

Limit Child Records in Picker

I have a Child Request Record and an Approver Parent Record and each approver is assigned to an Approval group.  I need to be able to limit the Picker in the Child record based on the Group selected.  I tried using dynamic form rules to display a Section based on the Group and a filter report based on the group for the record, but it gets confused because it's the same field name in each section.  I thought about Report links, but that work in the opposite direction.  I also tried creating a Text Multiple choice field that grabs the selections from another table, but that won't list the names and does not appear as well to be able to limit by that group.  Bottom line I just want to limit the list of approvers based on the Group selected in the child record.  Any ideas would be appreciated, but I am not a programmer so needs to be something I can do with native Quickbase functions.  TIA

------------------------------
Julie Meeker

4 Replies

• I think just writing out my issue helps me think it through.  I copied the related reference field and named it with the Group name.  Then used that field in my form with the record picker report using that filter and then I can easily use dynamic form rules to display the right field and associated pick list.  

Julie Meeker
      JulieMeeker
      Qrew Trainee

Oops spoke too soon.  That did not work.

Julie Meeker
  • Did you try making the relationship conditional?

Go to the Related Approver field on the Child table.

In the reference field options, check the The Values in this field depend on a selection in another field, check box.

Then select where the "group" matches the condition

The result is a subset of options in the drop down list for Approver on the Child table. 

https://helpv2.quickbase.com/hc/en-us/articles/4570293628436-Conditional-dropdowns-basic-setup- 

Jim Harrison
    transparency = knowledge + understanding : The Scrum Dudes
      JulieMeeker
      Qrew Trainee

I knew there had to be a way!  Thank you so much!

Julie Meeker