Forum Discussion

MelissaFreel1
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Adding Multiple Child Records with CB in Parent and Lookups in Child

Hi all: (edit for more clarity)
I would like automatically add between 1 and 9 new records to a child table when a modification has been made to the parent record using 1-9 check box fields.

I tried to do this with automations and with a rich text field button with some code in it.  

The challenge is that the fields that need selecting on the child table are lookups from another table. 

I can't "populate" the child "lookup fields" either with the automation or with my rich text button on my parent table. 

Couldn't get anything to generate but "blank" child records.

I am sure this is a simple one for folks out there and I am missing something obvious.

Please and thank you

------------------------------
Melissa Freel

6 Replies

• I am unclear what your question is. Are you saying you would like to have a formula URL button that would create between one and nine child records. 

you say this:
    I switched to a rich text formula field and developed a really pretty button that also creates child records.  

What is not working?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MelissaFreel1
      Qrew Cadet
      Hi Mark:
      I edited my original post and yes a formula url could do it too, just unfamiliar with nesting all action steps to do it particularly with the child field being "lookup" type fields

Melissa Freel
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        Ok, here goes.
        We will need to combine a few Techniques and then also hope that the resulting URL is not too long.  There is a length limit or # of redirect limits that's a bit fuzzy. 

Firstly you need 10 steps.  Nine to do the up to 9 children and then a tenth to redisplay the record.
        ā€‹
        $URLONE
        & "&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLTwo)
        & URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLThree))
        & URLEncode(URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLFour)))
        & URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLFive))))
        & URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLSix)))))
        & URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLSeven))))))
        & URLENcode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLEight)))))))
        & URLENcode(URLENcode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLNine))))))))
        & URLENcode(URLENcode(URLENcode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode(URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLTen)))))))))

OK so now all we have to do is to define what the formula variables URLONE through URLTEN do. 

I will do the easy one first.

var text URLTEN = URLRoot() & "db/" & dbid() & "?a=dr&rid=[ & [Record ID#];  // redisplay the Parent record

There are nine more but they are all sort of the same. Your complicating issue is that we do need to do those first 9 URL calls even if they are not all needed.   So what we can do  for the un-needed ones is to edit a dummy field to be true.  So make a field in the parent table called [Dummy Checkbox used in URL] and let's say it is field ID 100.

var bool Dummy = URLRoot & "db/" & dbid() & "?act=API_EditRecord&rid=" & [Record ID#]
        & "&apptoken=xxxxxxxxxxxx" // needed if you have the need to app tokens enabled
        & "&_fid_100=1"; // make the Dummy checkbox true

var text URLONE = IF(not [Checkbox  1], $Dummy, URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_MyChildTable_Alias] & "?act=API_AddRecord"
        & "&_fid_10="  & [Record ID#]
        & "&_fid_11=1); // 5 is the Record ID# of the required Master task corresponding to [Checkbox 1]

In the above I assume that your first checkbox field is called [Checkbox 1]. If it's unchecked (false), then we just do the Dummy checkbox, else we do the real URL.

So in the above I have assumed that fid 10 in the child record is the field for [Related Parent]  ... We needed to populate that or else the created child will be an orphan, just floating in space. 

Next I'm assuming the fid 11 is the field for [Related Master Task]  .  ie you are saying that these children being created are really join table record between the parent (say Project) and a Master Table list of possible Tasks. In the example above I'm assuming that [Checkbox 1] means you need to have Record ID# = 5 in the Master Tasks table.

So in the table of Master Tasks, you need to expose the Record ID# on a report so you know which Master Tasks Record ID needs to be populated to match up with each of your nine checkboxes on the parent record.

Give it a try and post back if you get stuck with your formula and the syntax error message if there are any.  Obviously I'm just typing while watching the super bowl and I don't have a formula editor in this box. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com