Forum Discussion

DavidDavid7
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Address Field Behaviour with Properties with Names rather than numbers.

Hi,

I'm struggling to get the QB Address field to work with properties where there is a house name, rather than an house number. 

Has anyone found a work around for this?

Ideally I'd like to have the house name / house number in a separate field to the street/road name, but I don't think that is possible when using the standard QB Address fields.

David

4 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Any reason why "House Name" is not its own text field?
  • I'm struggling with the same issue. For example, I want my reports to show "Airport" rather than an unrecognizable long street address which is unfamiliar to the database users. Is this possible?
  • Agreed. We often use locations that you would be able to type in the name of the location (like "Hilton Gardens Inn, Anyplace, USA") and an application like Google Maps would at least list suggestions if the search criteria are not specific enough. With the "Location" field lookup feature being driven by Google maps, I'm surprised the lookup function is not more dynamic but it cannot find anything but addresses.
    For now I've added an extra text field for users to manually enter any place names like this though so we can show the name when appropriate and the address when appropriate.
  • I ended up creating a separate Locations table with "Names" and "Addresses", which works well for repeated locations.

My details table has a related names field which will look up the address, resulting in functional name and address fields in my reports.

2 downsides: A) the initial use of an address still requires a google search (ie "Hilton Gardens Inn, Atlanta) to find the correct address. B) I haven't figured out how to use one-off addresses without adding them permanently (and dirtying) the locations list. I trust there's a solution for this latter issue.