Forum Discussion

DeepaPrashant1
Qrew Cadet
11 months ago

API to add record ot creating placeholders for new users

I am creating records in Quickbase via API_AddRecord. For some reason some records are missing the "User" (email) field data. I do see in some cases unregistered users were added to the app. Then why are some records not picking up the same field data and are blank?

------------------------------
Deepa Prashant

3 Replies

• Where are you creating them from? Are you sure that your source data has a value for the 'email' that you're passing and that its in a valid format? 

Chayce Duncan
      DeepaPrashant1
      Qrew Cadet

The data is coming from SAP using Alteryx and Alteryx is creating the API and sending to QB. All fields are getting populated without an issue. 

Yes, there is an email associated with the record. I can see it in the Alteryx API Post body. But if that "User" is not a Quickbase user yet, nothing gets transferred over. I was hoping a placeholder text would show up instead of the user allowing the admin to add new users to the app converting the placeholder text to the appropriate "User."

So for some records the "User" field is blank. 

Why doesn't the placeholder text come through?

Thanks

Deepa

Deepa Prashant
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

It's not going to be much help - but perhaps a ticket to QB Support to see what their thoughts are. I generally haven't given much thought to Quickbase placeholders, but my assumption based on your original response and the behavior you're seeing relates to their attempt to actually find a user since you're providing an email. Best bet is that text really does get treated as a placeholder since QB doesn't actually try and match it and just loads the text content, but since you're providing an email it queries it's user DB and if that email has existed anywhere, either in your realm or others, it can populate that user as unregistered, while if it finds nothing then it just skips over provided that they're not going to actually create new users in the ecosystem based on your api call. This I imagine is why for some that don't exist are being ignored entirely. 

Is it possible to add another layer to your process to query and see if that user exists? You can do a API_GetUserInfo to see if the user exists anywhere in Quickbase with that email and if so process the AddRecord, else you can first call API_ProvisionUser so that you know they exist as a valid user for QB to interpret when you do the AddRecord.

Chayce Duncan