Forum Discussion

TonyGonzalez
Qrew Trainee
4 months ago

App design help - Contract to Purchase Orders to Invoices

I don't need a full accounting app, but I have a need to keep tabs on my contracts.  Here is the way it works for us, need some help with the design of the app.

We issue a contract for a certain dollar amount.  It may last over several years.  Therefore, don't need to track by fiscal year necessarily.  From a contract, we will issue several Purchase Orders.  I PO is a for a certain amount.  The vendor will then send us invoices.  Every invoice should track to a PO.  So, I want to track a PO by amount and then sum all invoices related to that PO.  On the original Contract, I want to track amount of all PO's issued.  I was originally thinking a Contract table, then a PO table, then an Invoice table.  Is that the right street I am going down?

------------------------------
Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
IT Director City of New Braunfels

3 Replies

• If it helps, I have a Contract table, then a PO table, then an invoice table.  I have figured out on the  PO table how to get add Invoice Record to show up.  I believe my next step is to be able to sum all the various PO amounts that get entered for this PO.  I have no idea how to sum, in one table, the associated records in another table.

Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

IF you have a relationships, then go to that relationship and on the left side it will let you make a summary field.

It looks like you relationship is this

Contracts < POs < Invoices.

In Quickbase shorthand that means

One Contract has many POs.  One PO has many Invoices.

So make a summary field on the Relationship between POs and Invoices to get the Total Invoice value up to POs. 

Then make a summary field on the relationship between Contracts and POs to get the total of the Total Invoice value up to Contracts. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        TonyGonzalez
        Qrew Trainee

OK then. Looks like summary field is the new term of the day for me. I will look it up. Thanks, Mark.