Forum Discussion

MichelleL
Qrew Trainee
2 months ago

Assigning reference numbers to records

Can someone help walk me through how to do the following?

I'm setting up a database that will be filled out via a form completed by users. They'll have to select a category from a dropdown in a certain field (let's call it 'category') - I want to be able to automatically assign a reference number to each record using the following format:

C-AAA-XXX

The "C" will appear at the start of every reference number.

The "AAA" will be a three-letter abbreviation related to the category selected in the Category field. I've already made a field ("Abbreviation") that auto-populates with the abbreviation based on the selection in the Category field.

The "XXX" should be a three-digit number, starting with 001 for the first record created per Category. So for each category, there will be a -001, -002, etc. 

I've tried everything I can think of, and am failing miserably. It's the 'unique number' part that's tripping me up, obviously. Finally occurred to me that someone here can probably tell me how to do it in 30 seconds. So... help?

------------------------------
Michelle L

3 Replies

MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

Or just suffix it with the Record ID#.  It will be unique and in sequence from low to high, but not sequential.   Maybe it does not really need to be sequential? 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        MichelleL
        Qrew Trainee

That was my plan from the get-go, but someone asked if we can do it the other way, and I said I'd figure out how, not realizing that it would be far more complicated than I anticipated. But I've reverted to the original numbering convention now, after going down a rabbithole of similar threads yesterday! 

Michelle L