Forum Discussion

ConnieBroadie
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Audit Log - Add field that identifies which field changed

I have a table (Audit Log) that logs changes made in another table. They are related. I have an automation set up for each field I want to track changes in. The Audit Log form has Old Value field, New Value field, Date Last Modified and Editor (person making change). My issue is I can't figure out how to identify and include the name of the field (field label) being changed in the Audit Log form. I am grateful for any suggestions!

------------------------------
Connie Broadie

7 Replies

• Since you have say 5 Automation for the 5 fields being audit logs, you can actually just have a mapping in the Automation to actually write text, like any phrase, into a field, so use the option called "Type a Value"  if the target field is a free form text field or else probably better, make that target field a multiple choice field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      ConnieBroadie
      Qrew Trainee
      I am not sure I follow. Plz let me provide a little more detail to make sure we are talking apples to apples. Main table is Nonconformances (NCRs). We document any nonconformances to SOPs and need an audit trail of most changes made to the NCR record after creation. I do log edits within some NCR fields, but it isn't feasible with many of the fields. So we created a second table called NCR Audit Log. We made the two tables related; with NCRs having many NCR audit logs. We have 5 fields in the NCR Audit Log, one of which is the related NCR#. The other 4 fields are 'Last modified by', 'Date Last Modified', 'Old Value' and 'New Value'. I set up an automation for 25 NCR fields. Trigger is when that specific field is modified, with action to add a record to the NCR Audit Log. Within the Automation, each of the 4 fields in the NCR audit log are listed copying the values of a specific field before and after the change. Those values could be text, multi-line text, dates, etc. It works very nicely, except it doesn't tell me in the audit log record the name of the field that had the change. With 25 fields, it isn't intuitive to know which field the before and after are showing. It seems I would need another field added to the NCR Audit Log that can somehow capture the name of the field that was changed. I am not sure it is possible. I know I can create an email notification that will show that. I originally thought about saving the e-mail notifications as a PDF and attaching them, along with manually entering the field name, but that defeats the idea of automation.

Connie Broadie
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        help me understand this.

I set up an automation for 25 fields. Trigger is when that specific field is modified, with action to add a record to NCR Audit Log.

Do you have 25 Automations? If so, why can you not just add a field to the Audit log called [Field] and have the Automation write the field name into that field?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        markshnier2@gmail.com