Forum Discussion

RebeccaMoore
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Auto-fill Field within the Same Record

I am so frustrated!  I've been searching for weeks on a way to auto-fill fields within the same record. I know there has to be an easy way to do this, but I just cannot find it.  Here's what I need:  I have an app that uses multiple tabs.  Each tab is used by a different department within the company. I need the company name, address and phone number to auto-fill from the main tab into other locations within the same record.  Please tell me there is an easy way to do this that I'm just not seeing!  HELP!

------------------------------
Rebecca Moore

15 Replies

• Sorry.  That wasn't very clear.  I have an app that only has one table.  Each record has multiple tabs.  I need to copy information from the main tab company information fields into different locations in the same record.

Rebecca Moore
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      I will answer your question below, but I have to say it is usually not a good idea to have the same information captured in different fields on the form.   Eventually you will want to run some report by customer and you'll have a mess on your hands with the customer being on multiple places on the form and perhaps the customer name spelled differently on each tab. 

Now just to be clear about my interpretation of what you were saying, you seem to be saying that you were capturing for example the customer name in two different fields with two different field names. 

But having said that if you do have a field that needs to be auto filled from another field, you can have a form rule that says the following
      Where multiple conditions are true

my customer name field number two is blank and my customer name field one is not blank copy then actin
      Copies of value from customer name number one into the field customer name number two.
      Remember to uncheck the box at the very bottom of the form so that this fires all the time.

Going back to what would be a better set up, for Common fields it would be better to have those fields at the top of the form and then have the tabs below that says it's a common information is seen by our users for all tabs and then on the tabs there's only unique information just for that tab. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        RebeccaMoore
        Qrew Member
        Thank you.  So, what if I removed one of the tabs in my table and created a new table with that information.  How could I get the "main" form to populate the address?  I've tried multiple times to do this, but it's just not making any sense to me.  Basically taking the info highlighted below from one table auto-populating fields in another table.  That would remove the duplicates withing the same table.

Rebecca Moore