Forum Discussion

ChristopherJob
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Auto trigger URL based on a separate field property

Does anyone know how to trigger a URL to fire based on the property of a separate field in a Form instead of needing to click a URL button? 

Background:  My company uses a generic Form (dfid=11) for engineering support requests.  If an Engineer from Group D is selected then the user gets redirected at that moment to a similar but separate Form (dfid=12).  IOL Redirect that utilizes a QB Code Page was used to accomplish this but will no longer work with QuickBase's updates. 

The URL is this Code Page:
https://[companyname].quickbase.com/db/brym9juux?a=pageedit&pageID=4
The Field to trigger the URL:
[EngGroup] = "Group D"

------------------------------
Christopher Job

4 Replies

• If I understand this correctly,    in your form 11 you have a field called [EngGroup] that the users are selecting from.   

What you can do is make a URL Formula button that redisplays the record with dfid=12. with this code:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [Your Table] & "?a=dr&dfid=12&rid=" & [Your Record ID#]

Put the button near the dropdown [EngGroup] on your form id 11.   Then, use a dynamic form rule to hide the button, unless "Group D" is the chosen engineer group.     Then the user can click that button and it will take them to the form.

This is probably 1 extra click from what you are used to,  but it wouldn't be using Javascript to do so.  I don't think there is a way to auto-trigger the URL button,  the users would have to click it.  But you can definitely hide or show it based on the fields on your form.

Jeff Peterson
      ChristopherJob
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Jeff.
      Thanks for the advice!  That's an option I've considered before.  I think the downside to navigating directly to the new form is that every time that record gets accessed, the URL button would have to be clicked to get to the alternate Form.  Alternately, I could link the URL button to the Code Page URL which I believe will remedy that issue.  It would still require the URL button to be clicked once during the record creation.  Doable.

Is there a way to trigger a QuickBase Code Page to run without using a URL button?

Christopher Job
        JeffPeterson1
        Qrew Captain

Hmm... the problem is that you must call the code page with a button, formula URL or link which will always require some action from the user.   I don't think there's any easy way to automate that process.   

Could you build the fields or structure from form id 12 -into- form id 11 and then make that entire section hidden with a dynamic form rule unless [EngGroup] = "Group D".     This would make that section always visible in the record if it's active and hidden if not, without requiring any other action including switching forms.

Jeff Peterson