Forum Discussion

EvanLeith
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Autofilling values from parent table to child table

I am taking over Quickbase for my predessessor at my place of employment. I'm not up to speed with how it all works. Currently, admin creates a customer field once a sale is made. They input information into the form and then press a button on this form after inputting info about the customer. The button creates a project that autofills information from the customer field into the project field. What I'm trying to do is change the address field in the child table projects. Before, the customer's address was autofilled into projects, but it was put into a text type field, I wanted to change it to an address field so that I can create a map report for all our customers. My question is how to I customize the table to table relationship so that the address from the customer table is auto populated to the address field in projects. I wouldn't be surprised if someone needs more info before they could assist. Thanks in advance!

18 Replies

ChrisChris
    Qrew Assistant Captain

You'd probably want to 'replace' the address fields in Projects with Lookup fields from the parent Customer table.

Do you know how to bring Lookup fields into a child table from a parent table?

• So I added an address type field in projects, you're saying that I should add a lookup type field? Or is that just the lookup field in the table to table relationship page?
    ChrisChris
    Qrew Assistant Captain

You would want to open the table to table relationship interface. Click on any of the two tables' tab at the top of your application. Click the Settings link at the top left lying just underneath the HOME button.

On the Settings page, click on Table to Table Relationships.

On the next page, under the Relationship column, click the table pair to modify. It will probably be declared as, Customer >> to >> Projects.

In the relationship interface for these two tables, on the right-hand side is the child. There is a button at the bottom of the child column, "Add Lookup fields". Click this button.

On the page that follows, you're able to select up to three Parent fields at one time to be brought over into the child table. Select the Address fields.

The ADDRESS Data Type:

You did mention wanting to use Google maps and so therefore, you want to be sure you have in the Customer table the Address data type for your address fields.

The Address data type is broken up into six parts by QuickBase. [Address Field Name]: City; [Address Field Name]: Country; [Address Field Name]: Postal Code; [Address Field Name]: State/Region; [Address Field Name]: Street 1; [Address Field Name]: Street 2.

You'd have to import into each of these as separate columns of data if you do not already have this data type established.

Let us know where you are so far.

• So I'm following, but when I import those, they're showing up as a text type. The fields in both customer table and project table are for sure address type. Will it just show up as text lookup but autofill it into the address type field in projects?
      ChrisChris
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      You will import into the Parent Customers table. You are correct that the lookups will update automatically into the related Projects table's records.
      ChrisChris
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Yes, they will show as Text ( lookup ) not as Address data type.
      EvanLeith
      Qrew Trainee
      I'm not 100% sure that projects is the child of customers, but the customer name, email, phone #, etc. auto populates when I click a button on the customer table to create a new project. I added the address fields in the relationship page, but they aren't auto populating when I click the create project button.
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Looking at your customer record, you have the address field type.  But in your relationship list, you don't have the address field.  (You have the individual components)

Simply add a new lookup field to the relationship, select the field "Address".  That will bring the entire address as a link to the project table.

Then you can create map reports (per your original question)
  • I don't understand how it is linking the information from the address? Does it have to be a proxy look up? Does the field name in projects have to be exactly the same as it is in customers (address)? Currently: Customers - Address, Projects - Customer Address.
      ChrisChris
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      No, the spelling does not have to be exactly the same. The lookup 'borrows' the same value from the parent, they're not two distinct values. Can you let one of us in your app to have a look?