Forum Discussion

JeffreyPierce
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Automation: Trigger on Summary Field Change

I want to trigger an automation in a parent table, when the number of its children changes. I am using a summary of field, basically "# of children", and I have named that field in my trigger definition "When any of the following fields change:" I can add and drop children, and the summary field (number) reflects that change, but automation does not seem to get triggered. Shouldn't this work?

------------------------------
Jeffrey Pierce

23 Replies

• Sorry, no way.
    Well  not no way but not that way.  Email Notifications and Actions and webhooks and Automations will only fire when a record is edited.  They do not trigger just because of the passage of time (like at the stroke of midnight a task becomes overdue) or the # of children changes.​

But you have an easy answer.  You can trigger when a record is added or deleted on the children table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MatthewWitzgall
      Qrew Member
      Hi Mark. In the past 8 months, has this changed? I need the same functionality, but my records are more complex than "number of children." I am looking also for a solution that may work for my problem.

Matthew Witzgall
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        No this has not changed and is likely never to change.  One solution may be to run an Automation which which records the value of a field at midnight when the Automation runs and detects if it has changed from what it used to be the previous midnight.  ie to record the before and after values of a field every midnight and record when they change and purge the values that did not change - so making an Audit trail of the changes.

Or else you just need to find a hook as to what drives the change in your summary field.  The reason I offer up the suggestion above is that maybe your summary field is changing with the passage of time.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com