Forum Discussion

EliyahuShalom
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Automations: From child table to parent table

My application is designed to sort customer requests. 

Customers is the parent table to Requests because each customer can have multiple requests but a Request can only be tied to one Customer.

I'm trying to create an automation that when a Request is added to the Requests Table with a new Customer, that new Customer is added to the Customers Table

I don't want it to add the Customer if they already exist and that is why I made the Customer URL (customer identifier) UNIQUE.

The problem that I'm having is that I'm getting an error when it doesn't add the customer. Are one of my settings set incorrectly?

Just to be clear, it's adding the data that I want currently, the problem is that it's running every time I get a new request and I'm getting an error when a customer already exists.

Can I set something to only run the automation if the Customer doesn't already exist?

Thanks.

------------------------------
Eliyahu Shalom

1 Reply

• No problem.
    Create a formula check field on the parent record called [Parent Exists?] with a formula of

true

Then look that up down to the child record.  The effect of this will be that if there is no parent record then they look up value of[Parent Exists?] will end up being false.  

Then add a condition to your Automation to only add a Parent if it does not already exists.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com