Forum Discussion

RachelleBooth
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Blank as a choice in multiple choice field

I'd like to eliminate the Blank as a choice so I can make this a Key Field,  Any ideas?

Thanks

------------------------------
Rachelle Booth

4 Replies

• Hi Rachelle,

You are looking to have a Multiple choice field be the key field for a table? If that were the case the user would only be able to select a choice from that dropdown once ever. Since a Key field has to be unique for each record. So for example if your multiple choice field had three options you could at max have only 3 records. Is that what you are trying to set up in this instance?

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base
      RachelleBooth
      Qrew Member
      Yes, exactly.  I want it locked down to a specific location name to pick from. and then that will populate values in another table.

Rachelle Booth
        EvanMartinez
        Qrew Elite
        Hi Rachelle,

So are you trying to set it up so say a table of locations can be related to a table of events and on each event someone would pick from a list of locations it could be at and then information from that location would come down like the locations address, email address, etc. ?

Something like that can be done right when you are setting up a relationship by selecting the field you want to use as a proxy field. So when a user is picking a location from the events table they get a list of names that they could recognize to chose from, then in the background QB is using the default key field. That usually just requires that on the Locations table you go into the table settings, advanced, settings, and then select which fields you want to display in your record picker so instead of seeing something like record ID (Which usually doesn't mean much to a user) you instead see Location Name or customer name, etc. In the example below I setup my Companies table to show company name and industry whenever a user is trying to pick a company from another table. Is that the kind of set up you were hoping to have?

Evan Martinez
        Community Marketing Manager
        Quick Base