Forum Discussion

ThomasOtten1
Qrew Member
11 months ago

Button to Update field AND save and view record?

Hey Y'all!

So, I have a form, and I want a button that is "submit for approval", in a form. When it's clicked, I want it to 1: select the "submit for approval" field and 2: save the form and display the newly created record in view mode. I got part one down with this URL Field code (from magic buttons):

If([Submit For Approval] = false,
    URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord" &
        "&rid=" & [Record ID#] &
        "&apptoken=xxxxxxxxxxx" &
        "&_fid_40=1" & //this is the checkbox field
        "&saverecord=true" &
        "&rdr=" & URLEncode(URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID#]),
    URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=API_EditRecord" &
        "&rid=" & [Record ID#] &
        "&apptoken=xxxxxxxxxx" &
        "&_fid_40=0" & //this is the checkbox field
        "&saverecord=true" &
        "&rdr=" & URLEncode(URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=dr&rid="  & [Record ID#]))

However, clicking the button brings up this error screen:

However however, the record is still submitted and is viewable in the app. So, I kind of think the code is trying to reference the Record ID before it's created? Anyway, anybody know how to make this work? I've looked in these forums, asked ChatGPT a bunch of times, and spent time scrolling through Magic Buttons, and no dice.

------------------------------
Thomas Otten

3 Replies

• The issue is that you need to change your field to use the SaveBeforeNavigating syntax if you want this to work in Add Mode. that ONLY works as a Rich text formula field and not a formula URL field that you have now.

Here is a discussion 

https://community.quickbase.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=4466dd0f-403f-4f24-94d8-4ac7128081ae&CommunityKey=d860b0f8-6a48-487b-b346-44c47a19a804&tab=digestviewer#bm4466dd0f-403f-4f24-94d8-4ac7128081ae

note: this SaveBeforeNavigatng feature only works of the table is set to save automatically before navigating away (which is the default)

BUT!! the page must be dirtied to trigger the save.  BUT grid edit does not count as dirtying so if you have a form with only grid edit, then you need to have a form rule to dirty the record.  Like set a field to the current date/ time or toggle a checkbox opposite. 
    // the %%rid%% will be populated with the future record ID# when saved.

var text RID = If([Record ID#]>0, ToText([Record ID#]), "%%rid%%");

var text URL= URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_USER_FOCUS] & "?act=API_EditRecord"
     & "&apptoken=cyzurikcb2h5njdyhvqsndtqsyam"
     & "&key="  & ToText(User())
     & "&_fid_35=" & $RID

& "&disprec=1";

"<a class='SaveBeforeNavigating' data-replaceRid=true style=\"text-decoration:none;  background: #Dade07;  border-radius: 5px;  color: #0a0a0a; display: inline-block; padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px; width:120px; text-align: center; text-shadow: none; border: 2px solid #0a0a0a; font-size: 14px \"href='"
    & $URL
    & "'>SAVE</a>"

Post back if you get stuck but tbis might be enough clues.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ThomasOtten1
      Qrew Member

Between your advice, some help from the Magic Buttons app, and trial and error, I got it working! Thanks so much!

Thomas Otten
      ThomasOtten1
      Qrew Member

Between your advice, some help from the Magic Buttons app, and trial and error, I got it working! Thanks so much!

Thomas Otten