Forum Discussion

KathyCohen
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Can I control or limit the number of lines appearing in a field where I have turned on ""log edits to this field""?

Can I control or limit the number of lines appearing in a field where I have turned on "log edits to this field"?

7 Replies

• Limit lines "appearing" in the field or "entered" in the field? If the question is just on the appearance (in other words, display), I think you have control on it by putting a number underneath the "display" option (number of lines, max characters, and width of input box). I don't know the answer if you want a limit on how many lines a user can enter in the box. Hope it helps.
  • I'm actually talked about the "log entries" box.   I'm logging changes to at text field.  Each time the value of the field changes, the system adds a line to the field.  I don't want to show more than 4 or 5 lines.
  • Hmmm ... Yes, by default, it puts a white space in between each edits in the log field
  • Kathy, yes, you can make a formula field to show just the more recent updates.  That would show in view mode.  I that what you want.

But my better suggestion is to use some formula i can provide which will parse out the most recent value, and who and when it was done.  Then if the user need to see"who done it when" they can edit the record, which will then allow access to the full history of the changes.

Is that what you really want?

QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Ok, here are my cheat notes. These formulas assume that you have set the logging the default way which is newest entries at the bottom.

Parsing Append Only Fields

so... if you have a text field set to Log Changes where the new entries act in the default manner which is to be at the bottom of the updates, here are some formuals to use to parse out the values from the most recent entry.  I am also assuming that you are logging the date and not the date and time.

Most recent value (formula text field type)

Trim(Right([my update field],"]"))

Date of most recent update (this needs to be a formula date field)

ToDate(Left(Right([my update field],"["),9))

Who did the most recent update (formula text field type)

Trim(NotLeft(Left(Right([my update field],"["),"]"),9))

Parse out the date and time of the update (this needs to be a formula date time field, and you need to set the logging to also log the time.)

var text DateAndTime = Left(Right([append only with date /time],"["),18);
      var date TheDate = ToDate(Left($DateAndTime," "));
      var timeofday TheTime = ToTimeOfDay(NotLeft($DateAndTime,9));

ToTimestamp ($TheDate, $TheTime)