Forum Discussion

BrandonPhelps
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Can I create a new record in table A by copying a record from Table B?

For example, I want to create a quote in Table A, and I have items I want to quote from (SKU's) in Table B.  In Table A, using a dropdown or similar, I want to find a record in Table B, select it, and then copy the contents as a new record into Table A. Obviously I don't want to link it, because any future changes to the record in Table B would change the details of the quote. There are several questions in the forum along these lines, but I haven't seen an answer I understand.

------------------------------
Brandon Phelps

3 Replies

• The typical set up this this.

one order has many order lines.
    one product sku master has many order lines.

the order lines will thus look up any sku product master info from the Parent sku master.

if there are any of the lookup fields that you need to freeze, so they do not change in the future, then you create another fields of the same type as the lookup, such as yet if numeric, and the. Enable the snapshot feature for that field.  I'm just on  an  ipad now and don't have a handy link to the help on snapshots but look for the help on snapshot fields.

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/setting_up_snapshot_fields.html

it is also possible to do it the way you described with actually copying a Record into your quote, but the setup is more complicated.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Brandon,

There are a number of ways to architect your application.   Here is a basic structure for you.
    The trick to keep your values constant is the Snapshot.   Here is a screen shot of how to set that up in the Quote Items table.  Under the Advanced Section of the Field is the Snapshot property.

How are you going to present the quote to the Customer?   Quick Base does the calculations extremely well and will let you build your Order Management process after your Quotes.  However it does not have  a great presentation layer to get the sale and the $$$.  

I strongly suggest you look at Juiced Tech and their Exact Forms Plus tool.

https://www.juicedtech.com/exact-forms-plus

It is very, very reasonably priced and will let you make lots of great documents for you to then use with Customers, Vendors, Operations....

Good luck with the app, hopefully this will help drive sales.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      BrandonPhelps
      Qrew Member
      Thanks both of you, these are clear answers.

Brandon Phelps