Forum Discussion

CharlesCharles
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

can i import field that have been designated as lookup field/or formulas? Key fields?

I have a 'contacts' table and a 'policies' table.  they have a relationship through key field 'record id#'.  i have an excel spreadsheet that has all the headers needed for the fields in my table; however, I can't get it to link to the contact in the contact table. How can I import my policies that are associated with a particular contact so that the policy is assigned to that contact?  When I create a policy from within the table I select product name and individual policy holder from a look-up to other tables; however, I want to import those fields from the spreadsheet in these cases.

9 Replies

• Right, so 1 Contact has many Policies.

You want to import the Policies data and also populate the field likely called [Related contact], so that the impotred Policies will link up to the correct contact.

Step 1, Create a report and export to excel of all your contacts, with the field for the contact name and the record ID#.

Step 2. Copy that list of QuickBase Contacts and their Record ID#s into your existing excel workbook into a new sheet.

Step 3. make a =vlookup (value, range, 2, false)  column formula to lookup the record ID# for each contact. Make sure you use the "false" option in excel to be sure you get an exact hit.

Step 4, now you can import to QuickBase and provide the value for the field [Related Contact]
  • did as advised; however, there was no field 'related contact' to choose from?  also get error - Some record IDs specified were not found in the table.  I know the record ID's exist, but on the contacts table and not on the policies table.  any ideas?
  • I assume that you have s relationship where 1 contact has many policies.

What is the "reference" field for that relationship. Ie what is the field on the right side of the relationship called?
  • Yes, the relationship is one contact to many policies.  The reference field is 'contact name' and is a numeric reference.
  • Something does not make sense. The field which connects the two tables is a numeric field.  It is unlikely that field is called Contact Name.  What is the name of the field at the top of the right side of the relationship?  If that field is indeed misnamed as Contact Name what is the text field that holds the name of the Contact.
  • my apologies.  I was handed this off mid-stream.  Contact Name is the field and is a numeric field (reference); however, under its properties in the reference field options .. is has a proxy field of 'individual policyholder'.  Individual Policyholder it a 'text lookup' (reference proxy).   Under Individual Policyholder's properties, it has a reference field (in this table) of 'Policies: Contact Name' and a value field (in the foreign table) of 'Contacts: Full Name'.
  • OK,
    I would rename that numeric field on the Policies table which is the reference field to be called Related Contact.  Its very confusing to have a field called Contact Name which in fact contains a number.

I think that once you do that, my original instructions will make more sense. Post back if you get stuck or contact me off line via the information in my profile for one on one assistance.
    KenKen
    Qrew Trainee
    Thanks. This solved my import issue as well.