Forum Discussion

MichaelMichael6
Qrew Trainee
10 years ago

Can you rename columns in tables different from the field names?

I recently created a PO app to demonstrate to Finance. The app contained over 100 fields. In order to manage the fields for better administration, they were given appropriate naming schemes (Section Name - Field Description).

This was not a problem when building the form, as you can give alternative labels to the fields and the naming conventions can be more simplified (Supplier - Supplier Address can be simplified to Address on the form).

However, on the table homepage, the column names are the field names, and this was quite ugly and cumbersome when the field name was quite long (Section Name - Long Field Description).

Is there a way to have alternative labels also apply to columns in the table? Baring that, is there a better way to organize fields so that they can be better administered? (something like labels or tags or something... when you have 100+ fields, and they have random names, it can get difficult finding and updating them, like when fields are next to each other on the form, but totally separated in terms of names in the field elements).

Thanks for the help

Michael Custer

6 Replies

• Hi Michael,

Sure, when viewing a table report, you can hover over a column header, and click the blue arrow to open a drop-down menu. From there, select Column properties and override the field name for that report.

Thanks!

Brian
  • This didn't seem to be the answer... this is still just re-naming the fields, which was what I was hoping not to do.  I would ideally like the fields to stay with the nice naming convention I gave them, but show in the columns as the alternate labels.  Baring that, if I must give the field labels basic names, then is there a better way to organize fields?
  • You did not "get" what Brian suggested.  You do not need to rename the field.  You can override the column heading for the purposes of any particular report.

In terms of "organizing" fields, I suggest giving the fields native names which will cause them to sort together logically by an alpha sort - which is an option when you are viewing your field list.
  • I see where the problem is.  I am not using the List All report for the table.  It appears that only when using the List All report, the ability to use the Column Properties option appears.  The default report, or customized reports, as the default view for that table, does not allow me to see the Column Properties option, only the Field Properties option, hence my confusion.  

In your opinion, is this the correct functionality, or does there appear to be something wrong?  Does it sound like I need to raise a support ticket to find out why the Column Properties option does not appear in all view methods, regardless of which report is used to for the default view?

Thanks for the help.
  • Hi Michael,

Yes, that is the correct functionality. Essentially table home pages is meant to be a bit simpler then full reports. However, you can go to Customize this Page, and set the List All report to display there. That way, after going to Reports & Charts > List All to enter the column override, you can just visit the table home page and see the different column names there. I'm sorry for the confusion on this.

Thanks!
    Brian
  • Hi Michael,
    I tried setting List All as the report for Home Page and it does not all the Column override. Only in the actual List All. I have the same situation - very long field names for organization purposes. Thanks.