Forum Discussion

MichaelBretton
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Capacity/bandwidth planning?

Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone has used their Quickbase apps for team bandwidth/capacity planning? I just can't picture how I need to build this despite knowing what I need.

The use case
We have a team of 3 roles, each role has a slightly different capacity in points, and each project has a number of points classification.

Has anyone done anything like this before or used any sample apps which approach this process well?

Thanks
Michael
edit - added screenshot of table as previously added copy and paste from Google Sheets and it didn't show up!

6 Replies

• Michael -

Are you looking to do something that is very broad and just really looks at a Person's standard bandwidth allocation vs their current workload assignment? (Ex: Joan can handle 6 Projects and she's currently working on 4, so she's at 67% of her Capacity)
    OR
    Do you need to get much more in depth where you might take into consideration that person's actual daily schedule, PTO, Holidays, etc? (Ex: Joan works 10 hrs/day, 4 days a week, but is on vacation the 3rd - 10th....etc., etc., etc.)

------------------------------
    Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      MichaelBretton
      Qrew Member
      Hi Blake,

Thanks for your reply - No, I don't think I need to drill into the specific in-depth details of a person's schedule like you mention in the second option....I just need to get a handle on their current bandwidth like the first option, but with the capacity levels and project weighting in-line with the table I posted above.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks,
      Michael

BlakeHarrison
        Qrew Captain
        I agree with Jen's suggested setup. Taking into account your original list of roles and their points value, it sounds like you may have multiple users/roles assigned to each project. With that in mind, I think a structure like this would be a good starting point:

The Roles table would be where you would define the Role and their associated Points. Project Role would then combine the Role, User, and Project. And the Users table would allow you define their capacity as well as do the summary field Jen mentioned from the Project Roles.

If you don't have the need for multiple Role assignments per Project, then just eliminate the Project Roles table and move the User and Role relationships to the Project directly.

Blake Harrison
        bharrison@datablender.io
        DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
        Atlanta GA
        404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
  • I have something like this in my main app, a summary report predominantly displayed on the homepage so managers and people on the same team have basic visibility to each other's workload.

First I made a table called "User Details" to store our team member data. Which team they are on, work location, role, capacities, and of course a "User" field where I select the appropriate Quickbase user. (Notes field is also handy, I log why obscure users have access to our app.)

When I make a user drop down in another table (like the Projects table), I make a relationship to the User Details table and use it to select the project member instead of just adding a basic "User" field type. This way I can pull over other data about the project member and can also get fancy, like filtering the list so that the field only shows certain types of users. (I also went and added this to existing tables, used import/export to copy over the username data from the old basic User field.)

Then back at the User Details table I add a summary field that counts their number of active items in each relationship (such as projects.)

You could setup this basic relationship counting projects, then add project levels with a points system to your Projects table and bring it over to the User Details table as an additional summary field. Finally, make a formula field to compare it to capacity and a summary report to display this data.

Jen Hamilton